This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator leak question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Radiator leak question

Postby Brent » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:07 am

:? Has anyone used one of the aluminum based radiator sealants? I have a small leak and that's what the auto parts guy suggested. Seams to me that the Cub's or any other cooling system would be ripe for electrolysis if you used anything with an aluminum base.
Always try the easiest thing first.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dennis (51)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dennis (51) » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:20 am

I'm not confident that any sort of radiator sealant would work on a non pressurized system. You might be better off with an external repair or replacement in the long run. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Dennis (51)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:10 pm

If I was going to use anything in there it would be waterglass. (sodium silicate) I have seen it used effectively for many years on old tractors although I don't usually recommend using such things other than on a temporary basis.
Be prepared to work the tractor to get it good and hot and to keep the water circulated for a while so it will distribute.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Radiator Repair.

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:38 pm

Around $130.00 for a new radiator. I pulled my leaking radiator and soldered the leak. Reinstalled the radiator only to find that it had developed leak in another location.

Eugene

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:55 pm

:censored: Thanks Gents, I forgot it isn't a pressurized system. The radiator was new about a year ago so I think I'll take it out and fix it right. It's only a pin hole leak so it should be fixable.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:10 pm

Get you a board and notch it out for the flues and bolt it down with a gasket and wood screws so the radiator shop can leak test it. He want have anything to do that and may turn you away unless you have it already made and bolted on. Rudi is the wood craftsman. Have you made one Rudi.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Return to “Farmall Cub”