This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sequence to split cub apart

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Sequence to split cub apart

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:27 pm

On my burnt Cub, I've gotten almost all of the removeable parts off. I next want to split the Cub, so I can get the pieces in the barn and off of the trailer (it won't roll!). Is there a preferred sequence to take it apart? I'm thinking that if I have it blocked up and take off the radiator bolster and then the rear drives I can then separate the transmission, main tube and engine. Does that sound right, or should I do it in another order?
Thanks, Bob

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:55 pm

I don't think there is any one right answer to that question. It is just a matter of keeping the remaining large piece under control. I might go: front bolster, engine, right final drive, left final drive, platform/axle housing then bell housing.

After the engine is off, it might work well to lower it off of any blocking before continuing, and doing the same after each following step.

TBAR
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Sequence to split cub apart

Postby TBAR » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:05 am

rjmac wrote:On my burnt Cub, I've gotten almost all of the removeable parts off. I next want to split the Cub, so I can get the pieces in the barn and off of the trailer (it won't roll!). Is there a preferred sequence to take it apart? I'm thinking that if I have it blocked up and take off the radiator bolster and then the rear drives I can then separate the transmission, main tube and engine. Does that sound right, or should I do it in another order?
Thanks, Bob

How far are you going to go with the tear down?

TBAR
IH2444 & 1949 Farmall Cub

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:31 pm

I was going to split the main castings apart and get a good look at the guts of a Cub, of which I've only had glimpses of. I've kind of learned as I went along because I'm not a mechanic. Because all the gaskets and seals are shot, I think it would be prohibitively expensive to rebuild. I'll keep what I want, upgrade my other tractors, and then how to sell on Ebay or whatever.