This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Crank Springy Thingys

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Crank Springy Thingys

Postby ScottyG » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:31 pm

Does anyone have a barnyard engineering solution for the little spring clips that hold the crank down to the floor pan? Mine must've rotted away at least 1000 years ago. Can't get the slot head screw out either. Looks like I'll have to do a drill retap on my nice shiny new paint. Now why I didn't do this before I painted is another story...
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:46 pm

I believe that reproduction clips are available. Maybe even some originals. Try J.P. Tractor Salvage. I'm thinking I remember Jamie saying that they have them.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:39 pm

Mine are in good shape but I had a tough time getting the screws out of the floor pan also. Man` I have seen those 2 clips go for over $30 on eBay and could not believe what some folks will bid for an item. I was going to use conduit clip holders if I had to. :idea:
Then came Bronson

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:31 pm

How'd you finally get them out Johnbron? Lots of heat is the traditional method but I don't want to mar the paint. Anyway, since they're slotted screws it makes it tougher as the screwdriver likes to walk right out. I think I'll just knock the heads off, drill and retap my own.

$30? Jeez. I think I can reverse engineer my own but I'll try JP Salvage nonetheless.

What about the catches on old wooden stormdoors. The kind that look like two spring fingers? Cranks are 5/8" dia so it shouldn't be too difficult to find something even if I had to make it out of some light ga. steel.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:37 pm

A hand held impact driver runs about $10 and works great on that type screw. They are a hand held unit you hit with a hammer while twisting. Usually come with a 3/8 drive socket and phillips and straight bits.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:44 pm

John,

Hmmm never used one. Maybe we have one laying around the shop. I'll try it out!

Thanks.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tnestell » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:30 pm

I used my old ones as a pattern and cut and bent some new ones out of some heavy sheet metal. Then heated them till red and quenched them in old motor oil. They have worked fine for about 5 years till my 16 year old son got to them (but then he just twisted the steering wheel into a pretzel}. If they are cooled too slow they will be soft, too fast using water they will be brittle, oil seems right. While the metal was still soft enough to to bend back into place it still had sufficient tension to hold the crank into place. Ted

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:53 am

OEM has them, but they are $7.50 each. I would try the homemade one first.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:38 am

ScottyG wrote:How'd you finally get them out Johnbron?

I had soaked them with PB-blaster for a day and then I used My heavy all steel screw-driver. While putting turning tension on the screw-driver I tapped the the top of handle with a hammer. Once they break loose the rest turned easy with the small threads. As with all of the thread holes I chased the threads with a tap before reinstalling any bolts.
Then came Bronson

Return to “Farmall Cub”