Old Smokey

Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:14 am

I was able to take a few minutes away from deer hunting to pull some maintenance on my Cub, last Saturday.

I changed the coolant, and when I drained it, at the very last of the fluid there was brown mud/slim that came out. I have never seen anything like it before. :?: There wasn't much, maybe a pint. What was it? :?:

Also, after finishing, I started it and it SMOKED BROWN for a few seconds :evil: It always smokes white/blue whenever it is first started, then quits smoking. But brown? :?

It settled down quickly and we drove it around to warm it up good and it ran fine as usual. Explanations?

Thanks!

Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:23 am

The mud / slime is minerals and dirt that have settled out of your coolant. The thermosyphon system does not circulate the heavier particles like a system with a water pump. They just settle to the bottom. Be sure to flush the system any time you change fluids.

As far as the brown smoke goes, I haven't got a clue.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:21 am

Bigdog wrote:As far as the brown smoke goes, I haven't got a clue.

Probably from the new coolant. (Gave her an upset stomach and diarrhea :lol: )

BD. I thought you would jump all over that................

Seriously, if it wasn't started in a while, could be dirty stuff in combustion chamber or exhaust. Especially if it went away after warming up.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:27 am

Well, I was gonna..... but I'm trying to be good. :? But I think you're right especially if the original puff of white / blue smoke is coming from a very slight coolant leak that seals after warm-up.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:47 am

Bigdog wrote:Well, I was gonna..... but I'm trying to be good. :? But I think you're right especially if the original puff of white / blue smoke is coming from a very slight coolant leak that seals after warm-up.

Now thats exactly what I were`a thinkin that if it has the white/blue smoke on every cold start it has to have a coolent leak. White smoke = bad head-gasket or "OMG" a crack in block. :cry: