This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Splitting the engine off

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Splitting the engine off

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:19 pm

I had the chance to work on the burnt Cub this morning, and got the front bolster off without too much trouble. The steering shaft is still stuck, got the two bolts out, but can't budge the cover plate. Got all the bolts out to split off the engine, but can't get that seam to open up. I know there are two alignment pins, I've been spraying those and the seam with penetrating oil. Wondered if anyone has suggestions for getting the steering shaft out, and splitting off the engine. Hope you all had lots of turkey and fellowship with your families today, I leave shortly to start my self inflicted stuffing. Bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:41 pm

Bob,

I'm usually not a fan of using brute force, but this may be an exception. Try tapping the ears of the flange sideways to try to rotate it a little. That may break it loose.

For the alignment pins, use a large drift punch to drive them on through, one at a time. One will have to go forward and the other backward. Be sure you are prepared for the engine's weight (or have the bolts loosely in place) so you don't strain one when you drive the first one out.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:01 pm

Also have the 2 halves supported while trying to seperate. If not the weight will cause it to bind, as well as possibly bending the transmission shaft when it does seperate.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Seperating motor from bell housing

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:11 pm

Crib and hydraulic jack under the bell housing. Engine secured to engine hoist. Jack up the bell housing a bit with the engine hoist slightly loose then reverse things. Tighten the engine hoist and release the hydraulic jack presure a bit. You may have to do this two or three times to open up the gap between the engine and bell housing.

Once you get a gap at either the top or bottom or bottom of the bellhousing insert a screwdriver into each end of the gap. Then reverse the hydraulic jack - engine hoist position. This will open up the gap of the side opposite the screwdrivers. Insert two larger screwdrivers and continue the procedure.

Return to “Farmall Cub”