This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

block welded in a different place

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dennnis79
10+ Years
10+ Years

block welded in a different place

Postby dennnis79 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:49 pm

While disassembling my cub for an engine overhaul, I found two welds on the block, but not on the ears. It ran for 4 years and I never saw any leaks from these points, so I'm guessing that the welds were done right.

This is only going to be a working tractor, so appearance is not an issue. Will I be wasting resources trying to bore this block for .020 over pistons?

Here are a few pictures.

http://core.federated.com/~dennis/Pictures/2004/Cub/pages/IMG_2024_JPG.htm

http://core.federated.com/~dennis/Pictures/2004/Cub/pages/IMG_2023_JPG.htm

http://core.federated.com/~dennis/Pictures/2004/Cub/pages/IMG_2014_JPG.htm

Thanks.
dennis
"Hey, I didn't get a harumpf outta that guy!"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:33 pm

Personaaly I would think that if it hasn't been leaking it would be ok, but there are some on here that have much more experience than i on that type of repair. Another thing to think about is the new old stock blocks that NOSIH has in the for sale adds. They consiste of a new block, pistons and rings. Reuse the rest of the parts form your old engine (suggest new valves). I redid an engine about 1 1/2 years ago, and decided to buy one of his blocks and store for use in my 48 when I redo it in a couple years rather than reboring.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:42 pm

If you have not had any problems up to this point, it will probably be okay, but you never know until once everything is back togeter..

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:19 am

If you're trying to keep your monetary investment to a minimum for a working tractor .020" over is likely not going to be a problem. You might do like the other suggest and weigh the cost of a re-bore against the cost of a new block at a super price. I think nosih has done this board right by offering those blocks at the price he quoted. It sure has to make you think about doing anything with a marginal block.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Block Weld

Postby Bill V in Md » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:33 am

Dennis,

If you decide to rebore cylinders, have the machine shop magnaflux the block first, and that should tell you if the welds are good and whether there are any other cracks.

Just thinking out loud - if someone gets a NOS block, which serial number would you use?
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:35 am

Is that welded or Brazed? The color in the picture looks more yellow like brazing. What you have should do Ok but boring oversized rings, pistons, wrist pins and maybe connecting rods make it a high cost deal. The new block with pistons and rods might be less expensive. You don't indicate where you are located so the shipping on the new block might be a queston to think of too.
Also, look, the guy with the Blocks thinks you will be ok if you have not had any trouble yet.
It is a toss up, If the cost of the new is about the same or cheaper go for it. If the boring is a lot less expensive go for that and take the chance.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:38 am

I have one other thought. What year is you Cub. There were horse power changes through the years. No sense replacing a hemi block with a flat head piston block and loose horse power in you don't have to. The magifluz is right on.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:47 am

If the other images in the photo file are all of the same Cub, it's a 1949 - not a hemi.

dennnis79
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dennnis79 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:07 pm

It is a '49 as far as I can tell, even though the PO thought is was a 53. All the castings have an 'S' for the year and the serial number matches the range for '49s.

I've decided that I cannot pass up a deal that Noish has. And his place is and easy afternoon drive from my place. I figure that just the cost of new pistons and boring would be more that the NOS block deal itself. Plus, even if the old block was bored, I'd still have a welded (in TWO places) block. The NOS block just makes sense.

Now I'll have to think of somthing to do with the patched block. Maybe the wife can plant some flowers in it or I can always use an extra anchor for the boat. :)

Y'all have been a tremendous help.
dennis

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:23 pm

You could do a overhall and use it as a power plant for crushing bear cans :lol: "Jack"

dennnis79
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dennnis79 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:32 pm

That's funny because just this afternoon, my kid was helping me crush a bag full of cans and I was commenting on how we could mechanize the process with a motor and some kind of ram on a cam and a feed chute.

Maybe we can come up with something that attaches to the PTO. :)

And I'm picking up the NOS block tomorrow afternoon.
dennis

Return to “Farmall Cub”