This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pulling the pulley

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:59 pm

What about pressing it on with a hydraulic press after heating it?
Down here in cajun country!
Breaux Bridge, La
http://photobucket.com/albums/y235/kylev/Tractor/
1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:38 pm

Bigdog wrote:Jack, heat the pulley to about 200 - 250 degrees (electric oven works great if the wife isn't around). Use a heavy piece of flat bar stock with a hole in the center and a piece of all-thread rod (1/2") threaded into the end of the crankshaft. Slide the heated pulley onto the shaft, place the flat stock over the all-thread rod and use a washer & nut to pull the pulley onto the crankshaft.

I use a grade 5 or grade 8 bolt and a stack of washers instead of the all-thread. Once the pulley is started on the shaft it shouldn't pull in at an angle. Any minor installation errors should be corrected by the plate as pressure is applied to the pulley. Something is wrong. Have you checked for burrs, etc.?

I'm not sure how you are going to use a hydraulic press to install the pulley unless you remove the crankshaft from the engine. If you push on the pulley with a press, you will be pushing on the main bearing journals - not good.

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:57 pm

Eugene wrote:
Bigdog wrote:Jack, heat the pulley to about 200 - 250 degrees (electric oven works great if the wife isn't around). Use a heavy piece of flat bar stock with a hole in the center and a piece of all-thread rod (1/2") threaded into the end of the crankshaft. Slide the heated pulley onto the shaft, place the flat stock over the all-thread rod and use a washer & nut to pull the pulley onto the crankshaft.

I use a grade 5 or grade 8 bolt and a stack of washers instead of the all-thread. Once the pulley is started on the shaft it shouldn't pull in at an angle. Any minor installation errors should be corrected by the plate as pressure is applied to the pulley. Something is wrong. Have you checked for burrs, etc.?

I'm not sure how you are going to use a hydraulic press to install the pulley unless you remove the crankshaft from the engine. If you push on the pulley with a press, you will be pushing on the main bearing journals - not good.

Got it I never thought about pressing it on would be pushing on the main bearings. Duh! I went ahead and installed my pulley today it went well. I had a little problem at first when I first started pulling it on where the key fell out and I had to pull the pulley back off to put the key back on but after that it went on very well. I didnt heat it I just put grease on the shaft and inside the pulley and it went on perfect. I didnt want to heat it and risk messing up the paint.

Thanks for all the help.. Now another question. I am changing the mag drive seal. I got the old one out today, how do you put the new one in? Hammer? Or should I some how press it in?

Breaux Bridge, La

1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:55 am

You can put it in with light taps from a hammer and a block of wood, but this would work much better: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14696
Very 8)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:25 am

Donny M wrote:You can put it in with light taps from a hammer and a block of wood, but this would work much better: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14696
Very 8)

Earl's tool looks great, but a much simpler tool will work for limited use. Cut the block of wood so there's an offset 23/32" from the end. That will give you an installation tool and also a gauge. :D Just top tapping when it reaches the proper depth. :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:54 am

Kyle:

Bill and Earl's latest design
just arrived at the door along with the
Image.

Both of these tools take the guess work out of installing the seals. The Governor Seal Installation Tool should obviate what can be a long and painful guess and by golly process into a pretty much "GOOF PROOF".. and I envision the same for the Speedy Sleeve Installation Tool as well. This is meant for guys like me.. who have next to no Experience Level in the tool box to go and grab for stuff like this..

These are the kind of tools that are not only ingenious in their simplicity, but are worth their weight in the knowledge that the seals will go in right the 1st time :!: 8) They also increase one's confidence level in attempting these kinds of so-called simple repairs.. which usually for me turn into nightmares :!: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:25 am

Rudi wrote:Kyle:

Bill and Earl's latest design
just arrived at the door along with the
Image.

Both of these tools take the guess work out of installing the seals. The Governor Seal Installation Tool should obviate what can be a long and painful guess and by golly process into a pretty much "GOOF PROOF".. and I envision the same for the Speedy Sleeve Installation Tool as well. This is meant for guys like me.. who have next to no Experience Level in the tool box to go and grab for stuff like this..

These are the kind of tools that are not only ingenious in their simplicity, but are worth their weight in the knowledge that the seals will go in right the 1st time :!: 8) They also increase one's confidence level in attempting these kinds of so-called simple repairs.. which usually for me turn into nightmares :!: :!:

Very nice I will buy one. What does the tool in the bottom picture do?

Breaux Bridge, La

1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:40 am

Kyle:

That is for installing the speedy sleeve on the front pulley..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:29 pm

Uh oh was I supposed to put something on my pulley like this one? Speedy sleeve :?:

When I took my pulley off it didnt have anthing like a sleeve on it. So I just painted it and put it back on.

Did I mess up :?: :shock:

Breaux Bridge, La

1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:18 am

kylev wrote:

Uh oh was I supposed to put something on my pulley like this one? Speedy sleeve :?:

When I took my pulley off it didnt have anthing like a sleeve on it. So I just painted it and put it back on.

Did I mess up :?: :shock:

Kylev,

You only messed up if your pulley has a groove worn where the seal rides. Many aren't worn and don't require the repair sleeve. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”