How common are these tail lights?

Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:33 pm

Are these tail lights hard to come by. I was going to pull it off and replace with a combo light. That is until I looked in the parts manual and saw they actually came that way. Now, I have a great debate, to replace or not to replace?

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:28 am

I have only seen a few, but had always assumed they were owner replacements. After looking at the parts list I see they would not have been used until 1958 (Lowboy sn 10001, standard cub sn 210001), so there probably were not too many produced.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:43 am

That is a Grote brand tail light, and were used on various tractors (Cubs, 154's, some of the bigger tractors, and Cub Cadets (Originals through 123's). They could be found new painted red, white, or yellow and maybe other colors, but I have seen those. The lens are still available from Cub Cadet, and I have seen the lens at vendors tables at RPRU, with one vendor saying they were for trucks. IH, like others, was good at using such items in the parts bins for more than one application.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:47 am

Rather than "not too many produced" I should have said used on cubs, which is what I was thinking. My typing and thinking are occasionally not quite in sync.