This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

nos block question(s)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dennnis79
10+ Years
10+ Years

nos block question(s)

Postby dennnis79 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:45 am

I picked up my nos block yesterday and I think it's great. Thanks Noish!

My first question is about the valve seats. Do they need to be ground or can I just lap them with the new valves?

Second, I found some things in the water cavities that probably aren't suppoded to be there.

http://core.federated.com/~dennis/Pictures/2004/Cub/pages/IMG_2026_jpg.htm

and

http://core.federated.com/~dennis/Pictures/2004/Cub/pages/IMG_2030_jpg.htm

They have to have been in there since it was packaged, I was just wondering if anyone else found anything similar. The first one seems to be stuck down in there and is about the size of an 8 penny nail. The second one looks to be about the size of a piece of coat hanger, but is loose enough to pull out.

And finally, are there any recomendataions for removing the cosmolie besides kerosene?

Thanks.
dennis
"Hey, I didn't get a harumpf outta that guy!"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:43 am

Haven't looked mine over that close, but I've seen posts on different forums before about eople finding similiar items in blocks, and that they were reamins of items that had been put in before tumbling to knock loose casting scale, etc., and didn't fall out after the process. Regarding the cosmoline, that stuff is a booger to remove. I plan to take mine to a machine shop and have them do the valves, transfer gallery plugs, etc.. The hot tank at the shop should take care of the cosmoline. If some of it were left plugging an oil gallery passage, the results could be disastrous.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:45 am

The only ways I know to remove cosmo easily are with kerosene, or with some heat. A heat gun might help you remove the stuff you can see easily, or if you had a giant oven, put the whole block in there and let it drip out. But I think the most practical way is kerosene. It makes it very runny, and easily wiped off. I would even try filling a rubbermaid tub with kerosene and let the block soak in it, then rinse it with a pressure washer or something. As far as the oil passages, I would pump some kerosene through them to at least make sure they are not completely blocked. Once they have a little passage, I would think that any residual cosmo will be rinsed out with the engine heat and oil. But if they are blocked solid, they probably won't clear out for a while. You would need to snake them out.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

NOS Block

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:54 am

Dennis,

I found similar wires (see below) inside the water jacket of my cub block. I was advised by the forum that they were left behind during the casting process, and removed them. I did however, run across this comment by Spencer Yost in his book Antique Tractor Bible: "If you see these wires in the water jacket portion of your engine's block, don't assume trash is in the jacket. These wires help to dissipate the heat in an engine block". As an engineer, I fail to see how these wires will serve any useful purpose in dissipating a significant amount of heat.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:56 pm

If they were attached I can see them helping dissipate heat, but being loose, I also fail to see that application.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:45 pm

Could they have been used to hold the casting sand in place before and while the blocs were cast? With all the hollows for water and oil something may have been needed. Just a guess. Do we have any foundry guys available to help us here?
Sure wish I had the E-mail address of of my cousins son in Art school in Kansas city. They do a lot of castin of statues, Sure must be many hollows just to conserve metal. He told me one time, they scour abandoned buildings and junk yards for old radiators and cast boilers for the metal.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Snakeoil
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Snakeoil » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:52 pm

These are called Jaggers, the molding process in the 40's thru mid sixties was termed as "Green Sand Process" of which there are sill foundries today that use this process. The Jaggers are (and where) used to hold fingers of sand together, just like wire in concrete. They are more than likely just cut pieces of rod, and during the shakeout process were never taken from the casting.
Brain, an apparatus with which we think we think

Return to “Farmall Cub”