anyone ever sand blast a carb?

Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:55 am

I need to get lots of scale out of my Dads Farmall H carb and I have it completly tore done. do you recomend sand blasting to get the inside and outside cleaned out? Or do you think I would not get all the sand out of it?
what do you guys think?
Chad

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:09 am

I bought a carb on Ebay for my B Farmall that had been sandblasted. Of course, the carb body is cast iron. It took a couple of good cleanings and some compressed air to get it clean. Hope there is no sand left in it...could be trouble.

For the cub carb, I would recommend a good soaking (2-3 weeks) in a gallon of CHEM-DIP. You should be able to find it at any good auto part store. Follow-up with a good rinsing with carb cleaner and dry/blow-out with compressed air.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:47 am

I blasted a carb in a glass bead cabinet. The carb cleaner would not cut all of the crap. Just made sure it was thoroughly clean when I was done. I've been running it now with no ill effects. I would say the cleaning in carb cleaner is the way to go first, then blast it if you have to.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:04 am

CJ, the metal of a carb body is very soft. Sand blasting will severely erode it. Don't do anything more serious than bead blasting. I would try the carb cleaner and/or Chem Dip followed by compressed air before attempting to blast.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:26 am

Chad,

Be very careful if you choose to blast the carb. Small air/fuel passages can get clogged with whatever medium you're using.

I have used a 4:1 mixture of muriatic acid and water to soak the carb. It doesn't take long and with a brass wire brush it cleans up very nicely. Undiluted vinegar works also but takes much longer.

If you use this method be sure to rinse rinse rinse :!: Oh and rinse again :lol: 8)

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:41 pm

It sitting in carb cleaner right now! thanks guys

Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:33 pm

Lordy, ain't that shiney carb PUURTIE!

Bill

Sand blasting

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:21 pm

I have sandblasted 2 Ford N carbs and the carb for #2 cub with no problems. I completely dissasemble them, Soak them in carb cleaner to get what crud off I can. Blow them out. Then I seal up all holes with dowels. I have used round tooth picks and up to 3/8 dowel. Then I sandblast them.
Then blow them out good again and wash with hot water and soap.

What I would like to try is hot coat one. But I don't know if the pot metal they are made from can take heat of 350 to 400 degrees. Im afraid it might want to warp. If I had a scrapper I would try it.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:49 pm

Hey Donny, I like the acid deal. I'll bet that works slick. Will it cut through the dried grease gunk on the outside. I soaked an H carb for over a year last year and it still was coated with gunk heavily.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:31 pm

Bill,

It does work great but don't leave it in too long :shock: I'll take it out after a few minutes and give it a good brushing and dip it again until it's real clean. Then you know the drill...rinse, rinse, rinse 8)

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:28 pm

Just a thought....Anyone ever tried electralasys ?....Sure works good on paint and rust.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:58 pm

Our mechanic here at the shop soaks carbs in straight Castrol Super Clean and then rinses them with water. Follows that up with a can of carb cleaner and compressed air. 8)

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:36 pm

Donny,

Are those stainless screws in the carb? And what size are they?

Thanks for the information.