This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

grind and lap or just lap

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dennnis79
10+ Years
10+ Years

grind and lap or just lap

Postby dennnis79 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:30 am

Do I need to have the valve seats ground for a nos block or, can they just be lapped to the existing (or new) valves?
dennis
"Hey, I didn't get a harumpf outta that guy!"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Valves

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:55 am

Just an opinion. I would purchase all new valves.

Lapping or grinding. This is a toss up. I would try lapping the valves first. It won't take very long to see if they match up.

I just finished overhauling a Kohler engine for a Cub Cadet. There are two auto dealers in town and a number of auto repair shops. The only valve grinding equipment in the area is at the local technical college.

mike mix
10+ Years
10+ Years

gring or lap

Postby mike mix » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:42 pm

It's very easy to gring the valve seats and quite cheap. A company in Michigan called Neway mfg. makes valve seat cutting equipment at a very reasonable price compared to other equipment. I've used their seat cutters and they work great. For about $100 you can get everything you need to cut the valve seats. You can order directly from them you will need to know the valve head diameter & valve stem diameter and you will be ready to go.
Good Luck Mike

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:53 pm

Dennis, since you have a NOS block I would use new valves and springs. Lap the valves by hand. Inspect them closely as you work them. If they match the illustrations in the manual there will be no need to grind.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

dennnis79
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dennnis79 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:01 pm

I just got done measuring the old valves and they are too worn to be reused.

I was hoping I would not have to grind since I have a new block and will have new valves. I'll lap carefully and see what happens.

Thanks.
dennis

"Hey, I didn't get a harumpf outta that guy!"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:04 pm

My Pappy taught me a good trick when reinstalling the keepers. Put a little dab of grease on the valve stem. The keepers will stick to it and stay in place while you relaease the spring.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”