This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie Observations

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Terry Mueller
10+ Years
10+ Years

Newbie Observations

Postby Terry Mueller » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:41 pm

Hello fellow Cubfans,javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing
I've been lurking here for a while, and have just completed the reading of all the prior messages. What a wealth of knowledge you all are. Thank you!

I've got a 1962 Lo-Boy with a belly mower, but would like to use other attachments/implements. Thus far, I gather that the PTO has three strikes against it (non-standard splines, rpm, and rotation direction) rendering it basically worthless to me. I'm hoping that I'm overlooking something. Surely the Cub engineers had reasons for doing this, but it escapes me. Anybody have any explanations for the hard-to-find-attachments-for PTO design?

I'd love to have a post hole digger, buzz saw, and tiller for the Cub's PTO, but have gathered that I'd be better off buying pull-behinds.

With regards to the drawbar, I understand that the industry standard is currently a three-point hitch, and that conversion kits (are there any besides the Worksaver?) cost hundreds. So, I've been thinking about getiting the Afri-Fab three-point trailer for ATVs, and getting three-point attachments for *it*. Is there a better way?

Also, after hours of searching the web, I can't find rockshaft rods/arms for the touch control, with a rockshaft hinge. Surely such a common thing isn't so rare!? Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
Fraternally,
TM
1962 Cub Lo-Boy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:54 pm

TM Tractor has a rear rock shaft. And keep checking his site for a rod. He gets more all along.
http://www.tmtractor.com/dr/dr_001.htm
There is a super sharp fellow on the board who may make or supply a kit for a 3 point hitch soon. The Cub was only $540 new and replaced a mule so cost may be the reason for the PTO being like it is. Green back is always the whole back. The PTO was for Cub implements only. Some one else will have to explain why Harry Ferguson's 3 point hitch won over the fast hitch.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:17 pm

Jim Hudson wrote:TM Tractor has a rear rock shaft. And keep checking his site for a rod. He gets more all along.
http://www.tmtractor.com/dr/dr_001.htm
Some one else will have to explain why Harry Ferguson's 3 point hitch won over the fast hitch.

Harvester wouldn't license it. Deere wanted to use Fast Hitch in the '50s but IH said no. If IH had allowed other makes to use Fast Hitch, it is entirely likely it would've won out over the three-point.

A,\l
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:24 pm

I noticed a Buzz saw for a cub on E-bay today. I have one so I didn't pay much attention to it. It was on page 6 or 7. The rock shafts are not that uncommon . JP tractor salvage should also have them. The rod from the touch control comes straight or with a bend in it. I didn't get mine from either TM or JP. Of course I had to do a little cold iron blacksmithing to make it fit my 63 squarefront Low Boy. Tm or JP will know the one you need. Look in the new comers listing on the board as well as the wanted/for sale and you will see alot that is helpful
Everyone on the board will welcome you and help you to the best of their ability. To use many implements on a low boy you need a one point fast hitch.. It is a quick simple way to attach various plows and cultivators. It would not handle the 16 and 24 row plows of today but for simple 1 row tools it is sufficient.

Don't forget cubs were first produced in 1947. We had large familys and not much money in those days. An 8 hourse power cub was a miracle to the horse and mule small farmers of the day. By the time my 63 came along it was up to 14 horse power and eventually got to 18 in 1968 or so.
It was designed to work all day every day at 1600 RPM ( got 1800 eventually) and be simple to repair.
Various plows and cultivators are available today. As far as post hole diggers. they are rare.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Terry Mueller
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Terry Mueller » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:41 am

Thanks for the tips/replies/suggestions.
Happy Holidays to all.
1962 Cub Lo-Boy

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:39 pm

I was just over on ebay and here is the item number for a buzz saw.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Suggestion

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:46 pm

If you are planning on doing a variety of different jobs with you Cub you might consider purchasing another, larger tractor with 3-point and hydraulics. IMO would probably cheaper than trying to convert equipment to work with the Cub's PTO.

Being cheap I like the Allis Chalmers WD series tractors. They can be purchased locally for $1000- to $1500- in working condition. The WD series range in the 30 to 45 horsepower range, have live hydraulics, live PTO and a 3-point can be added for a couple hundred dollars.

The H and M Farmalls can be purchased locally for about the same money. The Ford N series are an additional $500- to $1000- locally.

3-point and trailer type farm equipment can be purchased at a reasonable price.

Terry Mueller
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Terry Mueller » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:41 am

Thanks, Eugene and Bill for the excellent advice.

Perusing the ebay listings was interesting!
1962 Cub Lo-Boy

Return to “Farmall Cub”