This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is Bashful napping or ??? NO - HE IS RUNNING !!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Is Bashful napping or ???

Postby Harold R » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 am

Static timing of a magneto has always been a little confusing....at least to me....as to what you actually should see with the cap off. After the process of timing, #1 TDC, rotor pointing to #1 position on cap, mag all the way against engine block, engine rotated 360 degrees back to TDC #1, then rotate mag outward until impulse trips. At that point......doesn't the rotor point a little beyond #1. (Impulse tripped). So if I had a properly timed mag, as I was bringing the timing mark around to TDC, just before the mark hit the pointer, I should hear the impulse trip. Then when I remove the cap, the pointer should be slightly past #1 tower?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:01 am

I'll throw in my 2 cents... put fresh dry plugs in it or take the ones out and dry them off good, take a carb off a runner and put on it. Start it up.
Looking forward to you figuring out if this is parts or not... revitalized Bashful or will you be selling me parts ?
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:05 am

Harold...when I have done mine, the mag trips at the timing mark and the pulley "surges" past the mark...depending how much, I will turn it back to the mark.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:52 am

Winfield Dave wrote:Harold...when I have done mine, the mag trips at the timing mark and the pulley "surges" past the mark...depending how much, I will turn it back to the mark.

Dave, that is my experience most of the time as well. The impulse on the mag is pretty strong and once it trips, the engine turns much easier! I also turn it back to the pointer. However, if you start with the mag coil rotated as far back to the block as you can get, the impulse should not trip when you are coming up to the pointer. If it does, your governor is out of time, and you won't be able to get any better timing than that without taking the governor out and triple checking its timing to the idler gears.

I also find that when I am slowly rotating the mag top away from the block of the tractor, when the impluse trips, I have to be REALLY careful not to let the mag continue rotating. That impulse is a strong sonofagun!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:44 pm

I had this funny feeling that I just might have had the timing out by 180 degrees. :oops:

I tried to verify #1 TDC by:
the thumb over the plug hole method - couldn't feel it [probably fingers too cold]
compression tester - no reading
small piece of paper over the hole - BINGO
ALSO verified by watching #1 valves - exhaust, suction, compression and then the pointer was at the notch in the pulley.
and the rotor was pointing at #1 position.
So I did have it on #1 TDC !!! :D

Just to completely get rid of my funny feeling, I pulled the mag and set it for #4 TDC and still no fire.

While I was switching it back I checked the governor lugs to be at 8:30 and 2 o'clock positions - lining up with the punch mark on the gov case.
[they weren't this way when I originally started this - that is what led me to find the gov out of time]
And checked the marks again on the rotor gears.

Tried it again after switching back - no fire.
I even turned it over by hand and watched the valves - and #1 plug sparked when I thought it should.

Eugene wrote:One more check. Crank engine slowly over by hand until magneto snaps. Check rotor position. If not at #1 spark plug tower, roll engine over one more full turn until magneto clicks. Now move the engine crank shaft until the pointer/timing mark is about 5/8" past the TDC alignment - this should be close to the full advance (normal running) position. Now check the rotor location - should be pointing at (centered on) the distributor cap #1 plug wire location.
Checked this also.

Pulled the manifold off to make sure there was no obstruction in there.

I have been assuming this is still a 6 volt system.
:?: Could that be the problem if it is in fact 12 volts? :?:
I have been hooking a 6 volt battery to the coil for juice and hitting the starter with 12 volts from a battery charger/jumper.

I'm not even close to giving up yet. :x
Next is to pull carb from Hercules after plowing is done and try it on Bashful.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Dave, I am confused , you say mag and then you say running a jumper wire to the coil? a mag needs no jumper wire unless it has been converted to a dist. :?
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Boss Hog wrote:Dave, I am confused , you say mag and then you say running a jumper wire to the coil? a mag needs no jumper wire unless it has been converted to a dist. :?

Boss...the mag is empty [no internal coil]...the tractor has an external coil...I thought the external coil needed power to function, that's why I connected it via jumper to the 6 volt battery...Am I wrong?
Dave

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Dave - no, you are not wrong. The external coil requires a voltage source to work. You are using only the distributor portion of the magneto.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:34 am

Observing valve function is my favorite method of locating top dead center, for ignition timing purposes. I don't watch the valves on #1, however, but #4. As the piston approaches TDC. the exhaust valve is closing and just it reaches TDC, the intake valve will start to open. I stop at that point & align the timing mark. That's TDC on #1 cyl. It's easy & totally fool proof.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:49 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Observing valve function is my favorite method of locating top dead center, for ignition timing purposes. I don't watch the valves on #1, however, but #4. As the piston approaches TDC. the exhaust valve is closing and just as it reaches TDC, the intake valve will start to open. I stop at that point & align the timing mark. That's TDC on #1 cyl. It's easy & totally fool proof.

THANKS for that great tip, Gary.

Rudi...Tip of the week?
Dave

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:25 am

Actually that is a great tip and one that I can actually see... :shock: A very useful alternative method to finding TDC :idea: It is now Cub Tip of the Week! January 19th, 2011
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:25 am

I guess I should have shared this method a long time ago, I've done it this way for years, anytime I have visual access to the valve train. Glad you guys like it!

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:49 pm

I hate to bringthis up but of you timed the mag you might have it firing just past #1 inbetween 1& 3, might try turniung the engine backwords 1/2 turn then try to start. Im probabley wrong but it a feeling I have! :wink:
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:51 pm

I tried a couple more things today after plowing snow.

1-I watched the #4 valves as Gary mentioned above while turning the engine over by hand...the #1 plug sparked at the correct moment.
2-Sprayed starter fluid in one of the plug holes and cranked it over to see if it would fire - no go.

:?: Would it still be a good idea to pull the carb off a runner and try it...in light of #2 above? :?:

:?: Or is it time to pull the head and see whats what? :?:
Dave

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:13 pm

Since the compression test was so good.... I really find that it didn't fire with starter fluid sprayed in directly baffling.... my only thought is really weak spark ?
Or the ignition switch isn't properly functioning...
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Return to “Farmall Cub”