sharpening and balancing C-2 blades

Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:40 pm

For rough cutting is it better to have a sharp edge on a blade, or leave it thicker (like1/32 or so)? Too balance, do I just want the two blades to weigh the same, or should they balance on a pivot the same distance from one end, or? Thought I'd take off the mower while I don't need it and do what ever other clean up is needed underneath. Thanks for the help, and Merry Christmas to all the forum members and their families.
Bob

Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:10 pm

My reccomendation for rough cutting would be a sharp taper (not a long thin edge, it dulls and dmages to easy), but with a reasonably sharp edge. That is starting sharp but getting thick rapidly. Did that make sense?

Regarding balancing, you want the right and left ends of the complete blade to weigh the same, so making sure both blades are the same weight should do it. make a simple beam balance with a wire tied in the middle to support it and a hook on each end to match the blade weights.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:29 pm

John, that makes perfect sense. I'll hang the blades and see which one is heavier next time I get out to the shop.