This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

BIG Snow a-Comin'

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: BIG Snow a-Comin'

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 am

NWOhio got hammered pretty good last night. We're in a level 3 snow emergency and the roads are drifted shut all around me. The winds were about 45+ mph and coming from the east(I think Ed's direction :shock: ) and now I have some frozen pipes(thanks Ed :D ) I'm with Bigdog=
No joy in Cubville KubKraftville today

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:34 am

Supposed to get 1 - 2" accumilation on Friday.....wish I had a blade for my cub...but alas ...no joy for me .....have fun guys and stay warm!!! We are going through rolling blackouts here in the Houston area too...kinda worrysome when it is this cold and the power goes out....
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:15 am

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Hope Chris (Chuckwheat) made it to work today, in that "girly" truck. Ed

I made it in fine smarty pants! They did offer to let me use the new Dodge Ram 4 wheel drive pick up, but I actually like smaller pickups so I don't have to sit on a phone book to see out the windshield like some people I know. Roads are flooding now and 2 lanes on I-95 in Providence are shut down. Getting home will be rough when the temps plummet and the flooding freezes...great :?

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:40 pm

It would have been a notable amount of snow.... but all rain. The weather guys predicted freeze at 4, so I scammed out of work and plowed the drive clean. Rock solid ice now.... I don't mind snow, but the ice most of the eastern US has gotten is just dangerous.

I do like the shoes on the plow, mine are set about 1/4" and it works out perfectly, leaves my rough (very old) driveway with just enough stuff that it's not slick with ice.

Never driven with studded tires, but I have been running 'studless' winter tires for the past 11 years or so on the truck.... ever since I slid down a hill (that I was going up!) and another incident on I-80 just into PA (from OH) that was almost a spectacular accident (semi box sideways was going to take out folks in the breakdown lane). The downside is picking out the tiny pebbles every year, but they make a giant difference and have been a good investment for me.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Well, since I started this post, I'll add another.

Forecast for Lone Jack (i.e. KCMO) was 8"-12"; we got 12" by Wednesday morning. The wind picked up on Tuesday evening, overnight, then on Wed morning to 35mph+ (official blizzard). :x By Tuesday evening, MODot had closed I-70 from KC to St. Louis :shock: , but it reopened at 6:30 AM Wed. First time I remember that happening.

The blizzard conditions produced some nice looking snow drifts; 24"-48" high. I dug out in front of my barn doors, went inside to start the Cub and :shock: I had left the light switch on DIM from a week ago when I last used it. Ouch. The battery charger didn't produce enough juice to start it and I couldn't get any response from hand cranking, so off to TSC for a new battery. Started right up! :{_}:

The snow was difficult to push, but managed well enough. The thin layer of sleet/ice below the snow didn't help for traction. I do know this much, I have three neighbors who are VERY grateful that I own a Cub with a blade. Spent most of yesterday playing in the, er, I mean pushing snow. 8)

I enjoyed the seat time, but I'm ready for Spring.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

mikethefixitman1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45417
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall CUB
129 CUB CADET
180 JD YT
160 JD YT
Various yard tractors and various brands
TOTALING 10

Postby mikethefixitman1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 pm

HI Everyone
WE got a mixed bag here. I didnt measure but I think we got about an 1 of ice or more. THE biggest problem was the wind that brought down trees and powerlines. We were with out power about 30 hrs. We made it threw,our camping equipment(propane lites,sleepin bags and a few little tricks we have learned along the way help get us threw.Biggest problem was NO ENTERTAINMENT. WE rely on the computer and TV a lot more than we thought.
Roger

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Like you Roger, we got the ice instead of the snow. Luckily the power was restored quickly. (I'm all electric) I was really aching to try out the new set of skids that Kubkraft made for me....Oh well, maybe next week....just no more ice.....
Regards,

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:23 pm

In NE Illinois, we ended up with an official total of 20.2 inches, the third highest ever. Even worse than the snow, was the wind. We got gusts up to 70 mph.

Going home Tuesday night, I figured I'd have to park in the road and clear the driveway to get to the garage, because it had been snowin' & blowin' for a few hours. My driveway drifts badly, especially when there is a ridge down the sides from plowing, but usually the drifts are highest at the end of my driveway. To my surprise, the drifts at the end weren't too bad - I got snookered. The wind came from a different direction than usual, and the big drift was up by the house. I got stuck. After about 30 minutes of clearing around the van and enough of the pad to get to the garage, I got the van bedded down. Then my daughter's boyfriend dropped by, and he got stuck in the driveway, too (but he didn't make it as far up). We dug out all the snow from beheath, and enough in front to get her moving, but the drifts had filled in so much behind, that I had to fire up the thrower again, and clear the drive again. An hour later, they were out of the driveway (they were just going down the street to a neighbor's, or I wouldn't have let them go).
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Return to “Farmall Cub”