This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Are Chains Required?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Elmer Fields
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Elmer Fields » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:48 pm

I tried chains last year on my inclined asphalt 100 ft. driveway & I still spun so much the driveway looks like it was whitewashed. I'll go back to pushing down hill & coming back up through the yard

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:22 pm

I'm hoping that that's the result of a serious incline which might be a little steeper than mine. Mine's pretty gradual but pronounced toward the top. Will report back on my first clearing.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Mike D
10+ Years
10+ Years

Chains Required?

Postby Mike D » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:14 pm

Chains aren't required but they sure help. I have plowed a 100 foot macadam driveway with my 48 Cub, turf tires and rear wheel weights, here in south central PA for the past 27 years. My driveway is slightly sloped away from the house so when we are in for a snow I back the Cub into my garage and when I am ready to go, I plow downhill. The first year I plowed without chains and got stuck when I tried to return to the house. After the first year, I built a quick connect wooden box which bolts on top my draw bar (with two bolts) and extends under the platform and is positioned/bolted under the cross piece which is used for the swinging draw bar. Three bolts hold the box on the tractor. I fill The box with six cement blocks. The extra weight along with the chains, which I made up from regular chain material from Central Tractor, has made plowing snow enjoyable. Good working hydraulics, weight in the rear, and a set of chains make a world of difference. And, the extra weight has prevented the wheels from slipping and scoring the macadam drive, even when I plow uphill. Of course, using common sense and light on the power, when appropriate, helps a great deal too!

therocket
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby therocket » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:14 pm

With no chains the first pass of clearing snow is the hardest. I back into the Garage, put the ole girl in third with the rev's up a little and let her go. After that I take each pass a half a blade at a time in second gear so its's not so bad. I have no choice but to start at the Garage door and push up and across the street.

Return to “Farmall Cub”