This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SNOW PUSHERS!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tipping Red

Postby sviennadan » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:59 pm

beaconlight wrote:sviennadan please give us details. Your misfortune may help some of us from doing the same thing. Most importantly you are here to tell us about it. I hope you weren't hurt when it happened.

Bill

Well, the long and short of it was, I was discing too close parallel to the creek, and got into a sandy bank. I couldn't move forward, and I couldn't move backward without it tipping over into the creek. So, I knew I was going over, and slowly moved the tractor forward, and fell with the tractor. The good thing was, I was very lucky, and only my pride was hurt. Couldn't say the sdame for the tractor though. Torqued the whole frontend however, making the radiator and supports lean to the right. Also dented the hood. And broke the fan pulley fork from the timing cover, thus necessitating the pulley puller that John *.? /.* so kindly procured for me. Just finished beating out the dents in the hood, and applied some body filler before I came in to check the forum. The paint they sold me at the local Case-IH dealer doesn't look to be true to the original; looks much too "hot" to me. I'll be spraying it tomorrow or Sunday I suppose. So much for my adventure in discing along the creek!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:26 pm

Wow the old don't disc too close to the crick trick. Glad you came out ok. Turnovers habe a habit of putting a hurt on people. Glad not in your case.

Iron can be fixed or replaced. It's the people we are concerned about.

I have a creek I mow along, at one point the bank is 8 feet deep. I often wonder what would happen if the bank gave in. I mow that area with the cycle bar or a Tag Along mower off set to the right and on a chain so it is further to the side. I mow a 1200 foot dam with the Tag Along too. I ride along the top. Can't run along the face it is too steep for me. I'd flip sure as God made little green apples. I go one direction along the top and the chain various lenghts on each pass to cut further down. I bought a set of front weights so that I can hold the face better as I go along the bottom reaching up with the Swisher 44" cut mower. The PO had a Massey 35 with a 8 foot cycle bar. He could reach up and down enough to get most of it except a little piece by the out let pipe. I csn't mow down it with the cub not enough hold back with the engine.
I had part of it get too tall once and was able to use my 6 foot brush hog on a JD 1950 in 4wd and the differental lock engaged. Most of it too steep to ga up. No sense bringing the tractor front over on me.

Now you know why I wanted to know what happened. I don't want any more hurt than necessary.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tipover

Postby sviennadan » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:05 am

Yuppers, it was an eye opener for me. Ordinarily, I use my sicklebar along that creek to mow, but we were clearing out some of the undergrowth closer to the creek, and the reason for discing down that close was so I could sow it with grass seed, making it easier to mow next year. If I do that again, I think I'll just back the disc in close to the bank, and pull out perpendicular, to avoid the tipping situation. That would also put the front wheels out where I could pull the tractor out with my truck, if it got stuck. Live and learn!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:30 am

Thank the lord that it is live and learn.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Found 'em!

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:54 pm

Found my pictures from last year:

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:04 pm

AAAAHHH...THE JOYS OF OHIO SNOW PLOWIN' :P ...We haven't had any snow here at all (love it) :D . Notice the absence of rear wheel weights...with the BIG DOG supplying all the traction to those chains :lol: !!!

By the way Beaconlight...You WERE VERY LUCKY fallin' off your Cub that way that you did :!: :!: :!: ...

It reminded me of a similiar experience at our local golf club when I worked there summers (during high school). They had a Cub with a 5' sickle bar on it, and needed to cut the grass on the dam side of the 4 acre pond. I got the job because I was too dumb to know better. Anyway, I started cutting across from the bottom of the dam, working my way up (never thinking that I could tip over the Cub).

About 1/2 way up as the sickle bar was facing downhill, the Cub's left front wheel started to come up. Luckily, I had enough sense to steer downhill quickly so it didn't flip :oops: . But, I often think how I could have lost a hand or fingers by falling off the Cub and onto the moving sickle bar :cry: .

If I had to cut grass on a steep bank today...I'd probably use my hand sythe :wink: .
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:08 pm

What you can't see in those pictures Country is that the wheel weights are there. They are on the inside! Those wheels are mounted with the centers dished out for extra tread width. The weights were just left on the same side of the centers rather than move them to the outside.
Bigdog

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:33 pm

'Country' Elliott It wasn't me that rolled it was sviennadan. I am always afraid of that. Hanging the left wheels on the top of the Dam I can only reach down so far. Then reaching up from the bottom I can only go so far that way . When I go to far up the front wheels get mushy, kinda feel that they don't want to go up any more, I back off put the Swisher tag along on a chain and let out enough chain that the mower is in uncut grass. after a pass I go back let out more chain, make another pass. Keep that up till it is done. The PO had a massey 35 with an 8' bar. That's an extra 3 feet reaching down and another 3 feet reaching up. 6 foot more cut almost does it. Seems that the Massey was lower and he could ride further up on the bank that I am comfortable with. I'll argue with a lot of things (including the right way to make Chile or bar B Q ribs) but not gravity.
Y"all want to go Cluck cluck for Chicken I'll hep ya.

Bill
Last edited by beaconlight on Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:52 pm

Stoutsville looks good in snow BD

I've been concerned about tipping since I have been using cubs..less than a year. I have a couple of fairly steep slopes that I am able to mow on, and still "feel safe" :roll: :?:...sort of safe.. I would not mow the same area with the hi clear cub though...That cub is cool looking but I would never put it on even half the slope of the regular cub. Suppose I should actually start looking for a nice lo boy with a good Woods deck.

I know Anni would agree that it is the safe thing to do :lol:

Mike

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:18 pm

mltiema wrote:I know Anni would agree that it is the safe thing to do :lol:

Mike

I can see that you haven't discussed this with her yet! :D :D
Bigdog

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:50 pm

That Valkarie (Viking Warrior Princess) will probably wave her battle ax at the hill and no mowing for the rest of the season.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

'60_Lo-Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:56 pm

am I the only one with a rear 3pt blade :oops:
Aaron.

Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:33 am

OK Guy's... get out those cameras :D :D

Guy
'55 Cub, (but always shopp'n!) '02 Kub, '57 Ford 640

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:12 am

I found the best match for paint comes from John Deere of all places. It's International Red is just about a perfect match for the Cub. If you want I can post the part number as I work for the local JD dealer.

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:05 pm

I will take some tommorow morning when i plow. Should be fun. I dont use the cub though. I hope that will be alright :oops:
Image On To Bigger Things

Return to “Farmall Cub”