This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

engine problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
drice
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19021
Tractors Owned: 1968 lowboy 1978 f cub and lots of cub cadets
Circle of Safety: Y

engine problem

Postby drice » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:11 pm

hi im new to this site been loking it over for a while and joined the other day.i have a question that hopefully one of you can answer.i bought a 57 cub last week and i drained the oil the other day and it had a greenish tint to it i thougt it was anti freeze in it but it wasnt milky looking.the oil had good body to it and i let it sit for a couple of days and it doesnt seperate it looks the same after 5 days.is it posible that the head gasket is shot, dont have compression in radiator.please give me some ideas, thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: engine problem

Postby Rudi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:38 pm

G'day and congrats :applause: on acquiring your 1st Cub. It probably won't be your last :lol: they get kinda addictive.

Image to the Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. You may also wish to check out the CubFests and Gatherings Calendar 2011 to find a gathering of fellow members where Cubs, Friends and a good time is shared by all. Enjoy!.

For your questions..

1. The cooling system is a thermo-siphon system with pretty much zero pressure unlike a modern car radiator etc., As long as there is sufficient coolant (fill up until you see it or it just enters the overflow tube) and you will be good to go. This system will seek it's own particular level - as in you will see coolant come out of the overflow tube while the engine is running and then when it gets up to op temp. Once the leakage has stopped that should be it's proper level. You may need to top up once in a while. A zero pressure cap is best but if that is unavailable then a very low pressure cap - less than 7lbs is sufficient.

2. Oil - not sure what the greenish tint is. If it was coolant it would have separated after a few days so the likelihood of there being coolant in the oil is slim. That also reduces the likelihood of there being a cracked head or head gasket. Monitor it for a bit and see what happens. If while operating you smell glycol -- then I would look for a cracked head/head gasket. The reason I know that is cause I BTDT a couple three times the last year or so.....

3. I would go over all of the tractor and change all the fluids. Suggest reading the Owner's Manual for your Cub -- see following link :idea: :D

International Cub Lo-Boy Tractor Operator's Manual 9-30-57 Lubrication section starts on Page 21 thru to Page 29

Hope this helps. Others will be along to add to font. We have a lot of great folks here who really know their Cub Stuff :-:-):
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Welcome, drice. As Rudy said, if it hasn't separated, it probably isn't coolant. The green could be from some additive put in by the previous owner.
I suggest you put a new filter and oil, and check it again after running for a bit.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:40 pm

Welcome.

I did a web search for "green color in engine oil" Came up with, it could be the result of an oil additive and "Kendall GT1 Oil, it was green".

My suggestion is the same as Rudi's - complete fluid change - see what happens.
I have an excuse. CRS.

drice
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby drice » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:48 pm

past owner said he put a synthetic oil in it but said it was gold in color.p o and someone else said it could possibly be the motor oil mixing with with the hyd oil which he had a t f in that but i didnt get the green color coming from that but thanks for your input ill change the fluids and see what happens

EarlyCub49
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18036
Tractors Owned: Presently
1949 Cub
1953 Cub
Kubota Zero turn

Postby EarlyCub49 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Welcome drice, Good to have another member from PA.
If I can help, let me know, send me a PM, I'm not that far away.

Bruce T.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Welcome fellow Pennsylvanian !! :D
Give some thought to attending the upcoming Northeast Plow Day:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59922&hilit=foxy+farms
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:40 pm

I would change the oil, and top off the cooling system (just enough to cover tubes) and top off the hydraulic and run it a while, and check it again. If you haven't done it yet, drain the oil filter drain, if it has antifreeze in it, it will have separated in there.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

drice
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby drice » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:10 pm

i ran the tractor tonite for a hour at differant idle speeds ,it had about 25 pounds of pressure hot it didnt seem to have any disscoloration of the oil at all.i put hyd oil in pump and 30 wt in the motor.i geuss ill run that for a while and see what happens it didnt have any anti feeze in the drain tube and the oil in the drain pan still looks the same thanks for all your help

Return to “Farmall Cub”