New project 51 cub

Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:04 pm

I have just started a complete restoraion on 1951 cub. The tear down has went good so far. Have the front off, engine off & taken apart & delivered to the machine shop. The problem I have come across is the two bolts that hold down the seat stand. They will not move, I may have outsmarted myself, I used a torch and cut the heads off & they still won't move. There is about 1/2 inch sticking up, plenty to get a grip on, but they will not move. I often read the posts here, but hardly ever post myself. I know some of the experts will have an answer. Thanking you in advance for any help.

Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:11 pm

Since you have a torch, heat them good and let them cool, then spen a few days soaking them with a good penetrating oil. Also if you get a set of Sears bolt outs that will fit the bolt, or weld a nut to them and regularly use an impact wrench briefly. Patience is the key.

Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:17 pm

If you have a 1/2" sticking up I would weld a nut onto the remaining bolt shaft. The heat of welding and the cooling will help loosen the bolts. Then use some penetrating oil and they should come right out with a wrench. This worked for me on a few stubborn bolts I had on the platform under the battery box.

Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:37 pm

I snapped both off on one of my Cubs, the stems were almost completely rusted through. Drilling and tapping was not my idea of a fun afternoon. I concur, be patient!!