Re: Talk about wooden wedges falling out

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 am

Rick:

Yup... simply an elegant solution to a problem. Kudos :applause: to both you and Bill on an awesome idea. I am looking forward to the final product. I think you will have a raft of eager customers for this neat invention. Yup...simply elegant

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:44 am

Great idea. Kind of timely with the recent discussions too.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:12 am

Great idea and even better execution. I will be in line when they become available.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Fantastic Rick! Quick suggestion popped into my head.....use wings nuts instead to make it easier to take on and off.

I want one.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Ah, a good idea whose time has come at last :D ! It would be nice if they were painted "flamin' chartreuse" 8) as a reminder to remove them before operating the Cub and/or maybe a streamer attached to "remove before flight", a la aircraft. Then maybe that could just be a customer installed option, depending on one's CRS severity :roll: . Either way, I plan to be in line to sign up for a set of the wedges.

Bill

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:34 pm

Ken (48 Cub) wrote:Fantastic Rick! Quick suggestion popped into my head.....use wings nuts instead to make it easier to take on and off.

I want one.

Ken,

Rick has tried wing nuts - not enough room.

Bill

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Great invention :D !

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:13 pm

very good set up. i want a set.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:24 pm

I have been using plastic wood splitting wedges for some time now, i use a big hose clamp to hold them down to the axle so they do not slip out, they do not splilt and crack like the wood ones, the plastic is tough and does not mind being pinched in between the axle and bolster, your formed to fit ones should be great
Tim

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:30 pm

Sweet!

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Rick and Bill,

It is coming along nicely. I like the ease of assembly.

What I would like to see is a set up that assembles nicely with a drill - but yet also disassembles quickly with a drill; in other words, the wedges are similarly retracted with force when reversing the direction. Perhaps you had this in mind already? One way to do this would be to have a nut dropped into a back slot or an edge slot so that it is keyed.

I hope my constructive comments are well received; I have always been very impressed with all of the things I see coming out of your shop.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:30 am

It would be nice if they were painted "flamin' chartreuse"

Bill, we think alike------I'd like them to be molded a bright color so they'll stand out.

I hope my constructive comments are well received;

Groove, thanks for the suggestion. I'll bring up your suggestion when I visit the machine shop this morning at 9am(Ohio time)

Rick

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:23 pm

The dropoff took place today. Phil showed me the 6 cavity mold used to make the t/c rockshaft bushings and my mouth about dropped. What a work of art. I could see dollar signs all over that thing with the technology and machining involved. I think I'd have to refinance my house to afford that :shock: The quality of workmanship that Phil does is amazing. I can tell you one thing, it'll take some time to machine a mold for the wedges and Phil has all kinds of ideas to apply to making them fit. It's pretty much out of my hands now and turned over to Phil. I'll keep everyone posted when I hear any news.

Thanks,
Rick

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:29 pm

I have seen your work as well as Phil's. With you two putting your heads together this should be a winner. Put me on the list.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Well thanks, but I'm being honest when I say my work doesn't even come close to the quality of work that Phil does everyday. I need new equipment :{_}: and a bigger shop and a "Torchmate" and a Bridgeport, and a ??????????????????????? :lol: