This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Keyed ignition/start switch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh
Circle of Safety: Y

Keyed ignition/start switch

Postby awander » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:52 pm

I had a funky problem on my '72 Cub backhoe, "Bugs". I lent him to a friend, and when I got him back, the comment was, "it will always start if I get things just right, and hit it with a shot of starting fluid...."

I had never had this problem, though at times, Bugs could be temeramental to start. I remembered, also, that sometimes the engine seemed to ctach and start start as I released the keyswitch from the start(cranking) position to the ON position.

I did a little detective work with mty friend Alex, and sure enough, the ignition switch was faulty-it would "almost always" not supply any voltage to the coil, while cranking. Then on releasing the switch from the "Start" position, it would "almost always" begin to supply the 12V to the coil. the condition started out as very intermittent, and has gotten worse over the last few years. I had never seen this problem described on teh board, so I wanted to pass it on in case someone else has a similar problem.

So I wanted to replace the switch. The one ion teh tractor was not stock, and I didn't want to pay the $35 that a stock switch would cost, so I checked out Tractor Supply, and they had a Universal switch that looked like it would work, for $14.99, in the "tractor" section of the store.:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/agriculture-farming-ranching/tractor-tune-up-repair/tractor-tune-up-parts/tractor-electrical-system-parts/universal-start-switch-with-2-keys-1831705

I picked one up, and on a whim, I checked in teh Automotive aisle, and found there a very similar-looking switch, with the only differences being that the Automtive switch was about 3/8"-1/2" deeper overall, and it only cost $7.99. I can't find this switch on the TSC website.

I didn't buy the cheaper switch, as I couldn;t recall how much clearance it needed behind the dash, but I wanted to pass on that after installing the $14.99 switch, I am certain that the $7.99 one would do as well, and would have no problem with clearance.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Keyed ignition/start switch

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:15 pm

awander wrote:Ithe ignition switch was faulty-it would "almost always" not supply any voltage to the coil, while cranking. Then on releasing the switch from the "Start" position, it would "almost always" begin to supply the 12V to the coil.
The described problem is not uncommon with vehicle ignition switches.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:57 am

I've used a lot of the switches, like the one you linked to, I usually pick them up at swap meets. they work quite well. The next time I'm in TSC, I'll look for the other one, just out of curiosity.

superwooter
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39402
Tractors Owned: 1976 International Cub

Postby superwooter » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:06 am

I'm having this same issue. Thanks for sharing. I live 3 minutes from Tractor Supply!

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:00 pm

And after burning through my second Tractor Supply switch in 2 years, I bit the bullet and bought a real one! Now I just have to find time to install it.........
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."

'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"

"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:36 am

I thought key start was later than 73??

Pretty sure the wrong key switch is the problem on my 70...
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:53 pm

D'oh.

You sure it doesn't open a wormhole when you turn it to the on position?

Return to “Farmall Cub”