This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Storing carb cleaner

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Storing carb cleaner

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:48 pm

While I was out in my little storage shed today I noticed a wet spot on a shelf. Investigation revealed that my gallon can of Chen-dip carb cleaner was seeping around the bottom seam. I bought it a little over 2 years ago to work on Missy. Might want to keep an eye on any you have stored, and make sure it isn't stored near an ignition source.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:16 pm

John I never buy it in the gallon cans but I always have about 20 cans of the spray type cans around and have never had a problem with leakage. My temps here range from +25°-to-+115°s. I use carb cleaner mostly for other uses than I do for cleaning carbs.
Then came Bronson

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Daniel H. » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:13 pm

John,

I had the same thing happen to a can I had on my work bench. After I use a can on a carburator I like to keep it around to clean other small parts. I transfered mine to a used paint can. Also, I have found that I like the Gunk much better than the chem-dip, the smell is not nearly as bad.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:49 pm

JB, I also keep carb cleaner on hand, but after 2 tries it had not solved the problems on htat carb so I ended buying that gallon so I could soak it overnight.

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:05 pm

I have a gal can of PB Blaster it came with a spray can that you fill. It has the same type of on and off as a windex bottle I have found that if you dont turn the nozzle off it erupts like a volcano and will empty the whole can. Exspencive and messy. JON

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:57 pm

Hi All

I don't do to much with the cub, but the last time I tried to use spay cans of kroil, the red spay tube didn't fit in the hole on the spay tip on the top of the can. Several cans rite out of the box, I didn't mix them up with some other products, I figured the jokes on me I guess. I just used them without the spout. I guess I could have sanded the o.d. down a little. I wonder if country could get to the bottom of this ? he is part owner no ? LOL Paul K.in N.H. :roll:

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:03 pm

John Cub,

Was that gallon of cleaner made by GUNK? I lost two of them over the past couple of years, good stuff, but the cans ended up leaking it all out. I wondering if they may have had a bunch of flawed cans.

It's nice becasue you can get a whole carb. in there soaking.

John N.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:45 am

Hey Paul...I've personally NEVER had a spray can of KROIL that didn't have the proper sized red spray nozzle :D . Here's my suggestion for you though...email Customer Service at http://www.kanolabs.com. I think you'll find them very responsive to your problem. :) You may have to send one of your cans back with the red nozzle attached...but they'll replace it and "reward " you as well :wink: . I'd tell ya to mention ol' "Country" by name...BUT, I don't want you to have to become OVER-WHELMED WITH CASES OF FREE STUFF :roll: :!: :!: :!:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:06 am

I had asked this question somewhere else, but didn't get an answer. is the chem-dip the same as berrymans(?). Is Gunk really better? Are there other brands availible that are better.. I need to get into "Rip's"carb soon and find why its running rich. All of It's life ('63),even after dealer rebuild.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:09 am

I have never had an occasion to compare the two, so I can't answer that particular question, but yess, Chem-dip is Berrymans. It did a great job on the 4 carbs I've used it on. The spray cleaner wouldn't clear the one I originally bought the Chem-dip for, but it did so I'd say I've gotten my moneys worth. It also forms a skin over the top when the can is open that reduces evaporation and smell.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:21 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:It also forms a skin over the top when the can is open that reduces evaporation and smell.

That is why I dont buy the brands that have a residue in them and form a skin on top in storage. I use carb cleaner for wiping/cleaning bare metal before priming & painting. The Super-Tech Wal-Mart brand carb cleaner has no oily substance which preps metal clean-clean-clean for paint to adhere better to.
Then came Bronson

Return to “Farmall Cub”