This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub manifold, hydraulic arm

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul Stav
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul Stav » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:24 am

Hello, I am a new cub owner and am trying to restore one I bought. Maybe someone can help with a couple of questions I have. First, it appears that the exhaust stack is threaded into the manifold? What size of thread is it? The pipe of mine is rusted off. Also, the hydraulic shaft has an arm welded on the left side of the shaft. This arm has a pin near the top and a hole about 3 inches down. In this hole fits a rod that extends to the rear and drives the lift mechanism. In my tractor, the rod rubs on the hood assembly right at the spot where the rod fits thru the hydraulic arm. Nothing appears bent, and the hood assembly appears to be bolted and never moved. The rod has about 1/4 inch wore off the flange of the hood assembly. Has anybody else experienced this? Thanks in advance.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:43 am

Paul, The exhaust pipe is 1" I.D. Sched 40 pipe.
Is your lift rod the straight or bent one? If your rear rockshaft was added later, it might have the wrong rod attached. The long eared dashes (early cubs - thru late 49 or early 50 I believe) need the bent rod for clearance. If you go to the photo section on the T.M. Tractor website you can see the difference.

http://www.tmtractor.com

By the way, welcome to the board!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:50 am

Hi Paul. Bigdog is right on. I just went out and checked on my '48 which has the long eared dash and the rod does have that special bend like Bigdog said. I also noticed that the rod can be flipped end for end. Did you try that???

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:03 pm

I did that :oops: At the last Cubarama, Bigdog was nice enough to
tell me I had the rod backwards. The bend goes around the hood.
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:00 pm

Paul, I had to read your post then come back and read it again. If I am understanding you correctly the rod is actually rubbing on the gastank where it goes into the front rockshaft. Am I correct?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:25 pm

I suspect there is something going on here we aren't quite getting. Could you post a picture that shows your rockshaft, lift rod and the point it is rubbing the hood?

Paul Stav
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul Stav » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:33 pm

Thanks for the info on the manifold. Thanks also for the hints on the lift rod hookup, and I will check the rod in the morning; however, my rod rubs the gas tank right where the rod hooks up to the rockshaft. It rubs right when the rod is in the maximum vertical position, so I doubt that turning the rod around would help. I will try. I now have the tractor apart, but when you looked at the hydraulic setup in motion, it looked like the 3/4 inch hole in the rockshaft was drilled about 1/4 inch too high. Mine is a 52 cub, how do I tell if I have the long eared dash?

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:46 am

Paul I don't know if this will help you but I have A 68 low boy and the rod hit the fenders so I did some cold iron blacksmithing to put a bend in it so no longer hitting.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:40 pm

Paul:

First, welcome to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

Ok, so here is the spiel.

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's (both 1 and 2), The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub.

I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the server, it is better is you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only licensed IH publication reprint shop and they have the best quality.

I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, welcome to the Cub Family :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:50 pm

Paul, it got up to a balmy 30 degrees today, so I drove down to the shed and looked at my cubs. Missy (49) had hydralics on it up until 2 years ago, and shows no sign of wear. My 48 which now has the hydralics I took off Missy is showing some wear from the rod rubbing in the same place you described. When I compared the 2 I did some looking as well as measuring. I measured both of them from the top of the torque tube casting at the front edge of the gas tank mount to the rim of the tank as close to the front edge of the choke as I could get my tape measure. On Missy (no wear) the measurement was 9 1/4 inches. On the 48 (light wear) the measurement was 9 1/8 inches. by doing some close comparing I found the difference apparently coming from 2 different places. On Missy the rim of the gas tank stands just a little higher than the top edge of the tank support, with the bolts providing the support. On the 48, the rim of the tank is resting directly on the top of the tank support, apparently due to the bolt holes being worn (48 had been badly neglected and abused when I got it). Also on the 48 it is hard to tell without removing it, but it appears that the bottom of the tank support has suffered some metal fatigue and the netal has cracked and split at the corners allowing it to sag. I would suggest putting something under your fuel tank for support and removing the rear support so you can inspect it and repair it. May need to put a spacer under the support when you reinstall it.

After looking mine over I suspect that a lot of you if you look close may be having a similiar problem. If your paint is a littl old is is not noticable until you look for it.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:21 pm

Also on the 48 it is hard to tell without removing it, but it appears that the bottom of the tank support has suffered some metal fatigue and the netal has cracked and split at the corners allowing it to sag.

John,

That's a safe bet! I've had a lot of them apart and I've yet to find one that didn't need repair. They're ALWAYS split. I always gas weld them, adding a little to the thickness. When they were formed the metal becomes wrinkled and highly stressed. I think after welding they are stronger than original.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:19 pm

Missy was that way when I took her apart, however the rear rockkshat and rod hadn't been installed for the last few years and there was no evidence of wear from it. I straightened Missy's support and welded it up with my old Lincoln befroe Bud rebuilt it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”