This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tough Paint question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:08 pm

Buzzard Wing,

Here's a place that does hot dip galvanizing. I'd think carefully, though, because today's galvanizing process does not appear to produce as fine and consistent a finish as was done 40 to 50 years ago. Most everyone paints their rims silver to "simulate" the original finish. If you do decide you want to get them galvanized, I'd require them to sent you a sample of their work first.

http://www.metalplate.com/
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:51 pm

what is kens last name? anyone have his contact info?
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:37 pm

Todd wrote:what is kens last name? anyone have his contact info?

If your asking about Ken Updike, look for a post by "Bermuda Ken" .......... (Carter & Gruenewald)
Ron

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:40 pm

Todd,
I know Ken quite well. He has been my partsman at the Dealership for 15 years. I doubt that Ken will need your proof reading skills for his new POOK. LOL The book will have enough mistakes as it is.

If you need to contact Mister "Bermuda Ken" Updike you can get a hold of him at work at Carter and Gruenwauld, http://www.cngco.com 608-455-2411.

Ken is alittle busy at home since he and Char had twins and he also has to work on the Winter Convention in his spare time. He doesn't know it yet but I am going dump a bunch of stuff on him this weekend. Rumor has it he will be hiding out at the WHS's IH-McCormick Collection on Saturday
Ken is also on this forum.

Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:24 am

Thanks for the link.... I will most likely grind em' and paint em. Already have too much invested and don't think it is worth it to go to that extreme... after all I am going to use this tractor, not put it in a museum.
!
I have been dealing with Chad at C&G who is very helpful and personable, I never knew he had such a knowledgeable co-worker. (He also has a new baby.) It's good to know that they have an expert on staff in case I ever have one that stumps him!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:27 pm

I have proof read several tractor books. Sometimes it isn't all the fun it seems because of deadlines and the fact I take the task pretty seriously. I try not to ever pass on doing it though. I don't think I did any proof reading of Ken's first Cub book but we exchanged some information while he was working on it.

By the way, the paint color rule that will almost always apply to Cub wheel weights is to paint them the same color as the wheel disk they are bolted to. I don't know that it litterally is right all the time, but I haven't seen anything documented to the contrary.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:01 pm

Todd,

Check out the photos at this link. They may answer some more of your paint questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3875111482&indexURL=3&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:05 pm

Thanks Don,

It is really a nice looking Cub! But it has been painted, looks like an excellent job too.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”