This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

RING GEAR TROUBLES PART II

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

RING GEAR TROUBLES PART II

Postby Mag Man » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:51 pm

Hi good people As some of you may remember that I had asked a while back about fixing a ring gear without splitting the tractor with a dremel or file.
Ok Its about 0-F today and the little cub with the distributor wont crank with the starter and I cant crank it enough with the hand crank to get her running. So I deside to pull the starter and have a look. SOB, SOB, The starter drive is completly ruined got about a half cup of metal shavings.But the funny thing is the ring gear is a little worn from the bad starter drive but its in pretty good shape.So I am lost what caused this. The starter looks to be a new or rebuilt unit from the early 90s I beleve is when the guy I got it from said the last time he had it running.
It looks to me like it was not ingauging all the way and chewed up the first 1/8 to 1/4" of the starter drive teeth.I also noticed that there is about 1/4" to 5/16" of end play in the starter armiture .Has any one ever came into a problem like this. Is the end play what caused the problem? I can get a new drive reasonable But I am not sure if the armiture is that good either . Any Ideas would be helpfull
THANKS JON

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:30 pm

Jon - most assuredly 1/4" to 5/16" of end play is unreasonable and surely lead to your problem. Thankfully (hopefully) the ring gear is as good as you say. A total starter re-build would be in order. You might get lucky and find a good used one from one of the supporting advertizers on the board or even take a shot on e-bay.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”