This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine Block Heater

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:43 pm

My '48 does the same thing when it's real cold and the humidity is high. Something about the gas vaporizing in the carb drops the temperature of the carb body enough to freeze condensation.
The old VW beetles carbs would ice up enough to stop running sometimes.
Best,
Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:17 pm

Thanks for that info, Mike.

Bill. Nothing warped & new gasket. It just looked to be a leak, but the whole carb was frosted. So, what Mike said makes sense. The reason the front part of the manifold is not frosted is the air from the fan blowing on it. Thanks for you input............
Ron

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:30 pm

Could be. The more I think about it I remember the carb heat control on a Piper J3. Same idea only more vital.
I would still try the spray a little either near the joint while idling and see if there is any surge.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:50 pm

I don't think the icing on the carb is anything wrong, mine does that when it's real cold, especially if the temp is right at the dew point. The reason you see frost on the rear of the carb at that point is that is where the air flow in the carb is restricted by the throttle, so it is colder, and its on the rear and not the front because the rear is sheltered from the fan by the carb body so it isn't being evaporated. I have seen mine when it was very cold and snowing become competely covered in ice and frost while pushing snow. but as long as there is no water in the bowl or gas to freeze, it just kept going.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:50 pm

beaconlight wrote:I would still try the spray a little either near the joint while idling and see if there is any surge.

Bill

I will. I'll let you know what happens..............
Ron

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:56 pm

Thanks John. Because it runs so good, I didn't think there was a problem. I will try the either just to be sure and eliminate something that could get worse in time.............
Ron

Return to “Farmall Cub”