This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Weird stuff...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
'60_Lo-Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Weird stuff...

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:33 pm

well, today i went out to work on Cubby. I found some stuff...

On the hood, there is some weird clear plastic-esque stuff. it looks like it dripped down from the ceiling. im not sure what it is, but it doesnt peel off. i was going to try to use some paint thinner or naptha to get it off, but then i thought about it taking the primer off. what is everyones opinion on what i should do?

also, what is the ideal painting temperature for Cubby? I dont plan to use hardner, because i saw some of the threads on deadly vapors.

Also any painting tips would be aprecaited

thanks,
Aaron :)
Aaron.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:47 pm

I would try scraping the thickest part off with a pliable sharp knife blade and then wipe the remains off with naptha or rubbing alcohol etc. Even if you rub the primer off it aint no big deal as you know primer applies easily. Now if it had a finnish paint coat I would approach the cleaning method more carefully.
Then came Bronson

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:26 pm

try warming it with a hair dryer
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:40 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:try warming it with a hair dryer

Just remember to give back the hair dryer or the wife might have your butt the next morning (voice of experience :lol: ) works excellent for heat shrink tubing too

'60_Lo-Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:49 pm

i dont have a wife... im 16, but i have a mom :P and she'll get mad lol :lol: i have an industrial strength heat gun also, should i use that?

thanks for the suggestions guys! :D
Aaron.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:08 am

Just be careful about how much heat you apply. You want to soften it, not melt it so it runs and sticks more.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Cold...

Postby allenlook » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:22 pm

If it's semi-pliable plastic, you might want to try cold instead of hot to get it off. Heat will make it more, well, "plastic" if you know what I mean. Cold will make it brittle and more likely to chip away with moderate pressure.

You can try compressed air or cans of environmentally-safe refrigerant, or even dry ice, so long as you don't exceed your primer's low temperature range (and you probably won't) you might find it comes off a lot easier than heating and schmearing it around.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:12 pm

Aaron:

Do not rule out the use of catalyst paint (hardener). Two things are required:
1. A good respirator
2. Good ventilation (a squirrel cage or some other type of high volume fan to exhaust the vapors)

I have used catalysed and cellulose finishes for almost 40 years. You should always have items 1 and 2 no matter what type of paint/finish you are applying.

Sooo, I guess the point I am trying to make is that when working with any finishing material safety is the most important concern. Address all finishing materials with care whether they be catalyzed or not.

There are many experienced finishers her on the board who can help you and walk you through setting up a "temporary" paint booth if you don't already have access to a permanent facility.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

One other thing...

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:56 pm

you can try is fingernail polish remover. It is basically acetone, which is good for fiberglass cleaning, etc. You can buy the real acetone at hardware stores, HD, Lowes, etc. Use it in an open area, as it can be flammable, and it stinks. Please do not use near open flame. It will evaporate quite quickly too, so make sure you put the top back on the container.

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

HART
10+ Years
10+ Years

WEIRD STUFF

Postby HART » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:34 pm

HAD THIS HAPPEN ALSO... BIRD DROPPINGS SOMETIMES... BUT ONCE WAS "SAP" THAT DRIPPED OUT OF LUMBER AFTER REBUILT BARN TRACTOR KEPT IN .. USED TURPENTINE TO REMOVE IT

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:41 pm

I was thinking along the same lines as HART.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

'60_Lo-Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:23 am

sap is definetly a possibility.

thanks all for the help, and sorry i havnt posted in a while, i had surgery on my neck tuesday.

btw.. its snowing here... anyone else getting snow?
Aaron.

Return to “Farmall Cub”