Re: Soda blasting results ++++

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:11 am

:thumbsup:

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:48 am

I have used this on several carburators, one was on the tractor, with very good results. Ted

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:57 am

:wave:

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:03 am

Nice job, Yogie! Couple questions for you though. Was that one box of baking soda enough to do the whole carb? Could a person set up a catch basin to catch some of the baking soda after it gets blasted, or does it pretty much all go into the air like a powder?

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:19 am

Mike on my soda blaster I ask my wife to buy some at Sams Club or what every kind of box store you have that carries this kind of stuff. She brought home a bag of soda 13.5 LB. I didn't know thay had that big.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:25 am

Wow! That's a LOT of muffins to be baked with a bag that big!!! I am going to have to give this a try...I am intrigued!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:49 am

I wonder if one of those little hand held sand blasters from Harbour Freight would work? I bought one and never used it. I'll give it a try and report back. It would be nice to be able to walk around my tractor and pin-point things I want to clean up.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:54 am

Yes it will thats the one I have the red hopper. Works Great.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:55 am

tccanoe wrote:I wonder if one of those little hand held sand blasters from Harbour Freight would work? I bought one and never used it. I'll give it a try and report back. It would be nice to be able to walk around my tractor and pin-point things I want to clean up.
Check this forum post out: Soda blasting a carb

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:53 am

I wounder if this would work on battery terminals and post too.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:42 am

Mike in Louisiana wrote:I wounder if this would work on battery terminals and post too.

Mike - there is no reason it wouldn't work. The soda would neutralize any acid present too.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:14 pm

How would this work on regular ol' cast parts?

Al

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:23 pm

Al, I know Videodoc has had at least one of his demo Cubs soda blasted. However, the rig they use for that has a BIG compressor, and they're using 50 lb bags of soda. I think it would be okay on small pieces, but still slower than sandblasting.

Bob

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Mike in Louisiana wrote:I wounder if this would work on battery terminals and post too.

I would make sure to cover up my battery caps real well too. Wouldn't want too much soda in my acid :lol:

Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 pm

I bet this would work GREAT for the hydraulic pumps when cleaning up before a rebuild, or just to clean one up.