This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Replaced Right Brake

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dan_c
10+ Years
10+ Years

Replaced Right Brake

Postby dan_c » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:41 pm

Gentlemen,

I replaced my right brake. I purchased the new brake lining from OEM Tractor. It is a bonded lining (no rivets). I have read on this form where some of the guys have had problems with separation on this type of brake lining. Is it common for the new brake lining to drag? Do you have to wear in a new brake lining?

To change gear lube in the final drives, do you drop the bottom pan? Is there a fill level? Are new gaskets available or do you have to make them?

Thanks,

Dan N.E. Ohio

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby jim turner » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:01 pm

dan; I never had a brake to drag after replacement, yes drop the pan to change oil and the gasket is available
Jim Turner

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:11 pm

Agree with Dan. Level for final drives is the plug that a wratchet will fit in just above the pan. You will have to remove the drawbar to get to one of them.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

dan_c
10+ Years
10+ Years

Replaced Right Brake

Postby dan_c » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:59 am

Thanks Guys,

I thought that I had read here where someone else had the problem of a new brake draging and the advice was to ware it in? When I say draging, I can turn the wheel by hand with the tractor jacked up off the floor. The other wheel turns easily where the wheel with the new brake band turns kind of hard and stops as soon as you let go. What could the problem be? I have the pin that retains the brake band in the correct position and oriented correctly. It drags even with the ajustment rod disconnected. Any further thoughts?

Dan N.E. Ohio

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:17 pm

From what I have read it is not a problem to be overly concerned about. When the band is new it is not perfectly round and it takes the pressure from a few brake applications to make the band form to a round shape. This is hearsay from other posts so dont take it as fact :?: .
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:20 pm

Dan, I believe that amount of drag is normal. You can run the new brake in by driving around with light to moderate pressure applied to the pedal. It shouldn't take much to wear it in. You will probably also want to try to adjust the other brake to even them up so that when they are latched together, they will brake the same.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

dan_c
10+ Years
10+ Years

Replaced Right Brake

Postby dan_c » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:59 pm

Thanks Again Guys,

You have confirmed what I believed to be true.

Dan N.E. Ohio

Return to “Farmall Cub”