This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What's next?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jrvanm
10+ Years
10+ Years

What's next?

Postby jrvanm » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:13 pm

my '52 cub was running ok when i put it in the shed last October, but it wouldn't start the several times i tried since then. i thought it was a dead battery. i hauled it up to a local tractor dealer last week to get it running and they reported water in the oil. i asked them to take the next step-try to determine what was cracked and how bad it is-and they called to tell me it won't even turn over by hand. it's a nice little tractor with a belly mower which works fine, so i don't want to scrap it if i don't have to. any suggestions as to what my next step should be would be appreciated. thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Head Gasket maybe

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:26 pm

Suggest that you pull the plugs first and squirt a few oz. of Kroil into the cylinders. Let it set a couple of days and then try the hand crank to see if the engine turns. Try more Kroil again if it won't move. Rings might be rusted to block from a leaky head gasket. Are the head bolts tight?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:32 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum.

There are a few possibilities for problems here. First of all, a crack in the block water jacket or a bad head gasket. Or, the water in the oil might just simply be condensation from setting. It's not real unusual for an engine to become stuck from setting around for a short period of time. I guess it will depend on how willing the tractor dealer is to repair the tractor.

I would say the next step is for them to determine what the problem is and decide on a course of action for repair.

If you are close enough to one of our forum members, you might enlist a little experienced help in resolving your issue.

In either case, if you like the tractor, the cost of repairs, even done by a dealer, would be a better investment than a new mower in my opinion.

If you are a semi-handy individual and would like to tackle this project on your own, the members of this forum stand ready to help any way we can.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:52 pm

I'm just 2 1/2 hours form Houston and will be glad to help 8)

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:49 pm

Not that I don't trust dealership mechanics, but, sometimes I prefer an independant. Due to the age of these tractors, there may not be a mechanic on staff that's ever worked on one. (As is the case back home)
I'm in Houston for another month or so, and Donny M isn't far away. There are a few others in the area as well who would be glad to take a look. Even if it does have a cracked block, (worst case), blocks can be bought reasonably. I'd bet your tractor is worth repairing.

Return to “Farmall Cub”