What's next?

Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:13 pm

my '52 cub was running ok when i put it in the shed last October, but it wouldn't start the several times i tried since then. i thought it was a dead battery. i hauled it up to a local tractor dealer last week to get it running and they reported water in the oil. i asked them to take the next step-try to determine what was cracked and how bad it is-and they called to tell me it won't even turn over by hand. it's a nice little tractor with a belly mower which works fine, so i don't want to scrap it if i don't have to. any suggestions as to what my next step should be would be appreciated. thanks.

Head Gasket maybe

Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:26 pm

Suggest that you pull the plugs first and squirt a few oz. of Kroil into the cylinders. Let it set a couple of days and then try the hand crank to see if the engine turns. Try more Kroil again if it won't move. Rings might be rusted to block from a leaky head gasket. Are the head bolts tight?

Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:32 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum.

There are a few possibilities for problems here. First of all, a crack in the block water jacket or a bad head gasket. Or, the water in the oil might just simply be condensation from setting. It's not real unusual for an engine to become stuck from setting around for a short period of time. I guess it will depend on how willing the tractor dealer is to repair the tractor.

I would say the next step is for them to determine what the problem is and decide on a course of action for repair.

If you are close enough to one of our forum members, you might enlist a little experienced help in resolving your issue.

In either case, if you like the tractor, the cost of repairs, even done by a dealer, would be a better investment than a new mower in my opinion.

If you are a semi-handy individual and would like to tackle this project on your own, the members of this forum stand ready to help any way we can.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:52 pm

I'm just 2 1/2 hours form Houston and will be glad to help 8)

Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:49 pm

Not that I don't trust dealership mechanics, but, sometimes I prefer an independant. Due to the age of these tractors, there may not be a mechanic on staff that's ever worked on one. (As is the case back home)
I'm in Houston for another month or so, and Donny M isn't far away. There are a few others in the area as well who would be glad to take a look. Even if it does have a cracked block, (worst case), blocks can be bought reasonably. I'd bet your tractor is worth repairing.