This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb cleaning - Vinegar?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Carb cleaning - Vinegar?

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:51 pm

I have heard tell that vinegar is ok to use for 'soaking'/cleaning a carburetor. Is there anything special I should know?? Gaskets are ok in the bath?

Thanks.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slappy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:56 am

If you're going to go to the trouble to take it off, I would do it right. Disassemble it, soak it in a good quality cleaner, etc. You might also check out Lurker Carl's Cub Carb Fixes that are posted on this site.
A kick in the pants is still a step forward.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:33 am

Good idea.... I took a look a while back and found Carl did an awesome job. Does make sense to do it right.

Seems that Carl says the best bet is the IH kit, any thoughts on that before I order it? I need the hood stickers anyway.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:43 am

BW:

Don't even contemplate another kit aside from the IH kit. All of the others are a waste of money, time and can provide ample amounts of frustration.

There is only one other kit that I use and that is the Spectre Kit. The only reason I get that kit is because it has one of the shafts that I need occassionally on a rebuild. For the life of me I can't remember at the moment, which one :oops: :roll: :? :roll: I think it is the choke shaft which doesn't come with the IH kit and is no longer available. I am trying to get the part number. Gotta get to Susses one of these days to get another kit. When I do I will post the part number and pics of the kit.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:28 pm

Thanks Rudi!

I am trying to figure if I need anything else from C&G before I order the carb kit.

This carb seems to be in good shape, at least compared to Lurker Carl's photos!

When I was disassembling the Cub I put the carb in a bag to protect it and once I got to the pile of partsI realized that I left the governor linkage on the carb..... so that baby moved to the front of the electrolisys tank queue and is looking good now.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:34 pm

Buzzard,

Once you get the carb apart you can soak it in vinegar overnight or about 8 hrs. This will turn it a nice shade of gray, it will then shine up very nice with a wire brush (I use brass). If you want it cleaned faster, use Muriatic acid 4:1 with water (4 parts water). Don't leave it in any longer than a minute or so, you can always dip it again.

I find these methods work better then any carb cleaner 8)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:51 pm

Thanks Donny.... The reason I asked about the vinegar is that I have a gallon that I bought to clean up a faucet and the carb cleaner is at the store (Can you say frugal??)

I also have some muriatic acid (it says buffered).

Since I am on the frugal (ok CHEAP) track today, I am also wondering if there is any reasons to buy the carb kit if it was running when I took it off??
Could I just give it a good cleaning and check the float adjustment and put it all back together?? Or is there a compelling reason to replace the 34 year old gaskets, etc?

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Replace the gaskets....

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:10 pm

You're already there, and there's no sense in going back and doing it again. Remember, these things are persnickity when it comes to stopping leaks. No need to let Mr. Murphy come and smoke your pipe and drink your beer at your insistance. 8)

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:22 pm

I agree with the Sailor man. You have it off, might as well do it right. If you soak it in anything remember the old felt seals will absorb what ever your soaking it in. Buy the kit and do it right :!: That way you won't be disappointed 8)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:30 pm

Makes sense.... I will order the kit.

Seems I need the dust guards , bearings etc for the front axle too.

Return to “Farmall Cub”