This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hub/dust cap removal!??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Hub/dust cap removal!??

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:42 pm

Seems the things that should be easy are NOT.
Stupid me decided to wait till after I painted the front axle to clean and repack the front hubs.
It is on a bench (of sorts) and I can't figure out how to get the dust caps off the hub.

My joint pliers have gone missing and I really don't like the idea of a pipe wrench..... Biggest Crescent is too small. A pair of the strap wrenches I got from Santa don't seem to be the solution.

I know the answer is in front of me..... but sometimes I need to be lead to water.

Thanks
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

BW...

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:08 pm

I like swimming too, so don't feel bad. Bigdog set me straight on this. I used a pipe wrench and some PB blaser or Seafoam. Spray the hubs and let them sit for a little while. Put the pipe wrench on them and turn them CCW. (Lefty loosey, etc). Depending on how much paint is on them, you may have to tap the pipe wrench with a hammer or something like that. Just remember to wear protective goggles if you do.

Good Luck.

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:08 pm

Buzz - wrap a few wraps of tape around the cap and use that pipe wrench you've been dreading.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:36 pm

dont fell bad! When i first got my cub. I figured they came off like a car. I ended up denting one bad, till I firgured out they unscrewed ! :oops:
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:46 pm

I know the feeling!!!!!!!!!!!! I took off the bearings of the trailer I use with the cub, Cleaned and greased the wheel bearings and could not find one of the castle nuts that held the bearings. About two weeks later, after I had bought a new nut I found the old one still in the deep socket I had used to take it off. Looked all over that garage floor, under and over everything and could not find it.
I charged it off as a senior moment.

Bill
Last edited by beaconlight on Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:31 pm

You guys have been a great boost to my ego!!!! I am not afraid to admit my screw-ups and simple oversights, it just seems to be a bit too common!
Possibly it is because I am actually doing something..... hard to mess up sitting on the couch, unless you spill your beer or misplace the remote!

I had to go out to the store for some minor parts (SS lock washers for the fan/hub) and a big light came on..... a SPUD wrench may work. I think they named it after long gone cat, his not as long gone brother was named BUD.

Years ago I went off to a wedding for the weekend and found BUD trapped between the screen and the window. My windows don't have weights and he managed to kick out the stick that was holding up the window. He did have a look of relief when he saw me!!

With that said..... I hope I don't lock myself in the garage.

Thanks again for the quick responses and helpful tips..... I am off to slay the dragon!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:26 pm

Got both hubs in my hands!
Almost as easy as it should be!
I used the biggest strap wrench to hold the hub, taped the cap with masking tape and my biggest pipe wrench on the cap.

Came right off!

Thanks again!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:38 pm

One side was pretty rusty looking and judging by how neat the cotter pin was set I would guess it was done at the factory. Bearings are pitted on that side so now I am trying to get the inside bearing off the axle.

Manual says to tap between the washer (forget the correct name) and the bearing..... no movement.

Tried the same thing on the other side, no movement.....

I tapped the small chisel all around the shaft/bearing and shot some pb blaster in there too.

Is there a secret.?? I tend to be really careful. so am I being too gentle or something??

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:04 pm

It'll come off hard.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:08 pm

Bigdog wrote:It'll come off hard.

Bigdog told me to use a bigger hammer and if that dont work I would have to go rent a jackhammer.
Then came Bronson

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:45 pm

I got one of the races off.... the back race has a secret part that I got some movement on.... It looked like part of the hub until I started to beat on it. But figured that if I put the PB blaster to it and let it sit while I did some painting it would come out tomorrow.

Of course, the propane ran out on my 'new' furnace installation while I was bringing the garage up to temp. At least now I know about how long a 100# tank lasts. Figures that the garage is where most of the snow went during our blizzard two weeks ago, not that I am complaining about an almost clear driveway. (26" of snow had to go somewhere).

This house was owned by the Murphy's for a long time (two owners back). seems like they still set the tone of the laws in these parts....

Film at 11.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:26 pm

Them Murphy rascals leaving Laws all over NY state too. Them fellers sure do get around.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”