This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

filling rust pits-best way??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

filling rust pits-best way??

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:53 pm

Can you tell me the best way to fill deeper rust pits prior to painting? My choices seem to be Bondo or JB Weld. I know the Bondo goes on top of primer. I think the JB Weld needs to go on bare metal, then primer on top. If its in an area that might flex a little bit, is one preferable over the other?
Thanks, Bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:02 pm

Bondo goes on bare metal, not on primer. In fact if you put it on some types of primer it will flake off, or crack later down the road

Just make sure the rust is out of the pits. If its not you can sand blast it our use "muriadic" (spelling?) acid with a brush. let it soak in the wash it off with water and dry immediatly.

The best way is to use Spray Polly from you local Auto Body supplier. IF you can afford that then I would use a thin coat of "spot" putty. it drys fast and you dont need a hardener
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:24 pm

I used Bondo glazing putty on the bigger pits and then went over that with Dupli-Color Filler-Primer and a lot of smoothing work. My primer is now as smooth as glass. I got both from Wal-Mart in a tube and spray cans. This is on my hood and I have not painted it yet so I am sure the paint will show any flaws in the flaws of my (Mucho) labor.
Then came Bronson

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:43 pm

The way you make sure there are no low spots or pits left is that you use a technique called Guide Coating. Once you prime the parts you take a can of Black spray paint and just dust a very very light coat on the part. wait for it to dry for 15 min. It should just look like dust on the primer. then you sand with a Block and 320-400 grit. go all different directions. On the round parts us a sponge instade of the block. dont use your figertips. when all the black is gone your part is perfect. if you see black in the pits, coat with spot putty, sand with 180- 220. the reprime re guide coat and sand with 320 or 400 wet. dont go finer than 400 or the paint will not adhere and rougher than 320 you may see the sanding scratches. Personally i would use a Red Oxide primer beacuse it will cover easier, but Grey may be easier for you to see the flaws. When you spray the primer look carefull while the primer is wet to see if you you can see any bigger low areas. Remember a monkey could paint something the hard part is the prep. The more you block the party the better it will come out. If you want to spend more money skip all this, Spray with 3 heavy coats of spray polly, block with 220. then reprime and sand with 400 wet. It will come out better than new.
-Todd
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:17 pm

Todd:

You know, I gots me a good nose and my nose is smellin something right now :!: :idea: :idea: :D

My nose smells an ARTICLE :!: :shock: :D :idea:

You know, an article on prepping/filling/sanding/priming/painting a Cub would be a pretty NICE addition to the server :!: How to mix catalysed paints could be another one which would include preparing the primer as well. Spray tips could be another one.

I have read many of your posts on paint tips, and I have learned a lot. I have been spraying for over 30 years, and I am still learning :!:

I sure would appreciate it a lot. What do you think?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:21 pm

Sure Ill work on it next week, how about a cheap way, medium priced way and an expensive way?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:27 pm

Todd:

Sounds good to me. Any pics we can add now or later would be a help too!

You are the pro! You let me know what you decide...

Thanks again, I think everyone may benefit!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mike D
10+ Years
10+ Years

spray polly

Postby Mike D » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:59 am

I don't know about spray polly. Is it a bondo type material, used to fill low spots, in a spray can? Thanks,
Mike

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

SEM High Build Primer

Postby Arizona Mike » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:21 am

There is a product made by SEM Products, Inc. called High Build Primer Surfacer. It will save time when doing your final prep prior to your color coat and will fill up your smaller pitted areas much better than regular primers. It does not provide enough fill for badly pitted areas though. You might consider it if the pitting is not too bad or to use after you do your filling. It is an elastomeric and is somewhat flexible.

Mike

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:46 am

Spray Poloyester! Is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The bad news is its very expensive $40.00 a quart at least. It s made by several Different companies. I prefer the Spies Hecker version.

What it is: It is a sprayable caytalised primer that is similar to body putty. The problem with primer is if you spray it too thick it cracks. Also if you finished your body putty with a rough gritt sand paper the scratches will sink in over 6 months or so..... Spray Poly :D . You dont need much, and i wouldnt put in on cast parts becuse it will fill in all the rough casting and wont look original. but hood, fenders, lights ect. its great.

You can litterally get it a 1/8in thick in one coat. mix according to manufactureres directions, use a Spray gun with a High Flow tip, like a primer gun, or if you dont have it us an old gun made for laquer, If you plan on using it a lot you can actually buy a special gun that works great. The smaller the fluid tip the more you have to reduce it. start with 5% then slowley reduce untill it comes out well.

so get all your body work done. I like to finish it with 180 grit. then mix up your spray polly. and get going! doesnt have to look nice just get it on there. it will have a TON of orange peel thats fine. ONce done let dry for the proper time. Guide coat, block with 180 220. once its smooth, if you start to go through, stop thats as far as you can go. either recoat or touch up with spot putty. If you have spray polly left you can use it instead of primer. Just take whats left mix it up and reduce 20% or so so it comes out of the gun like primer. Spray a nice coat or two, let it dry, sand with 320 -400. blow off, wipe down, seal with a GOOD catalysed sealer, then Get your Paint on!

Return to “Farmall Cub”