This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First pics 2005 and a small problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

First pics 2005 and a small problem

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:03 pm

Well here is the first picture of the new year. The Cub hasn't been started since mid Ocotober. I sold my 8N Ford to Ernie, so didn't have a 6 volt battery any longer. I went down and bought a new battery and I was really disapointed, I didn't think the thing was ever going to start, kept flooding out, but finially it came to life, even took it for a short drive. :wink:

On the other side of the coin, the Deere didn't want to run either :!:

Temps. are up in the low 60's today, so now it play time in the old garage, and do some CLEANING UP. Took everything out that would run. John *.?-!.* cub owner , I hope you had some of these nice temps, down your way today, too.

Now that I have it out and running, I remember seeing this small problem. The overflow on the radiator is above the hood. Is there any way to slove this probelm? I don't see any way to adjust the hood, grill and dog legs up. The air breather cap, appears to be in about the correct location, maybe this is something to do with the radiator itself.

Remember when I first got the Cub, the bolster was cracked, due to a freeze at one time opr another, but the radiator, didn't appear to be buldge or anything like that. That is my only guess.

Any Ideas on how to fix this?

John Niekamp

PS: Note that my 9 year old thinks it's Summer, the only way I could persuade him ioto putting on his jacket, was to let him be in the picture and let him drive it too, :lol:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:28 pm

There should be an overflow tube connected to the rad. The tube is then routed below the rad on the right side. You can use soft drawn copper 8)

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:30 pm

:P Nice looking Cub John. That is strange about your overflow sticking up above the hood. My hood has not been on for so long that I dont remember what it looked like but I know my radaitor O-F-tube is not short like yours, Mine has a metal tube running down to the bottom of the radiator for drainage.
Then came Bronson

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:02 pm

I may have not understood his question but I believe that he is not concerned with the copper tube going down the side of the radiator but is wondering why the overflow exit from the radiator extends above the hood. I apologize if I am wrong. Dan

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:46 pm

Ok,

May be when the bolster froze it humped up and that's why the overflow is above the hood. It still looks like it needs the tube.
You can take the grille off and put a straight edge across the top of the bolster, that will tell you who much it's humped up.

BTW, Very nice looking Cub :!: :!: 8)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:51 pm

It's definitely an aftermarket radiator. The plastic overflow tube should fit though. And that should solve the problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:08 pm

Bigdog wrote:It's definitely an aftermarket radiator. The plastic overflow tube should fit though. And that should solve the problem.

Bigdog,

I am just wondering what is the give away that the radiator is an aftermarket one? I just assumed it was the original since it's showed "IH-55" stamped in the back side of top tank. My Cub didn't come with the shroud so I just assumed this was a piece of rubber tubing and connected to the little nipple sticking out of the fill neck, similar to what we use today. You can see that this had been hack-sawed, at one point of time.

If anyone remembers I posted a picture a few months back of the tractor taken several years ago with the P.O, and he had a plastic recovery tank wired to the hood with a hose going to this overfill. He probably didn't realize that you don't fill these "thermo-cycling" systems completely up to the top. Of course I didn't either until I found this forum.

Dan E. You were correct on your assumption.

Donnie,

Your thought was the same as mine, but before I brazed up bolster, I checked the mounting surface with a precision straight edge and it was bowed up about 1/16 give or take a 1/32 of an inch. After I had it welded I placed it up on the mill table and machined it flat again and then also done some straightening on the bottom of the radiator and got it flat again, the rest was taken care of with the mounting screws.

It could be very possible that the radiator is totally out of whack. and this is where the whole problem lies. I don't know really how bad the engine was froze. The block or head wasn't cracked, my only guess is, the cooling system was drained to some degree, and that is the only thing saved the rest of it. I have one of those Cub power units and it had frozen up and everything is cracked and busted out. I don't even know why I am saving it, I just don't have the heart to throw it away, :D

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments and suggestions, I really enjoyed this little project, probably more than anything I have ever done. I know I blew a lot of money on it. I can't wait to get the mowing deck done over the next few weeks and see what these little Cubs do what I have been hearing here. I still have a few little odds and ends to finish up. Thanks to Dan England and George Willer, I have a couple a parts that I purchased from them, that I thought was going to be hard to find, but they came through and done me VERY well.

I have almost everything here, except for these hard to find hood emblems. At the prices they are going for, I think I have to live with these cheap incorrect stick-on ones, for a LONG time.

John Niekamp

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:46 pm

Got my head up my butt again. I was thinking the IH radiator had the overflow a little farther down the neck. It just didn't look right. But then, I can't see below your hood. Ignore my comment. I'm gonna go take a pill. :wink:

And I meant rubber hose, not plastic. Guess I shouldn't oughta watch Ben Stein and read the forum at the same time.
Last edited by Bigdog on Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:46 pm

Smart boy bribing you to drive before the coat. I can see where he is coming from. Great looking tractor. Wish we all had access to a milling machine to true up parts.
As far as that frozen up power unit, don't forget it has a carb, magnito, crank shaft camshaft and other parts that some one will need. don't just junk it. Does your cub have a full radiator? not like the one that bolts to the bolster like a cub.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:01 pm

Hey no problem there Bigdog, I do that more often than not :lol:

Beaconlight.

No it's just the engine alone, the drive or what ever you want to call it is already gone, along with the radiator and mag. DARN!

The carb. I took off and gave to ole Rudi, just before his operation. The enging is locked up tighter than a drum, (been sitting outside for 30 plus years) but the oil pan is full of rather clean looking oil and no signs of water ever getting in it. SO your right there are a few good parts hopefully left inside.

Like I say I have a weak spot for these old engine, just can't see throwing them away. I even have about a Model T block that I actually dug up out of an creek bed, drug it home too, should have heard my wife on that one, LOL

John

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:17 pm

If your overflow tube looks hack sawed, it is probably an original radiator that the PO hack sawed when he put the overflow tank on. Every Cub I have ever looked at closely has the tube coming out above hood level. It then curves down to get below the hood. That is why they have the keyhole shaped hole in the hood for the radiator neck.

Very late models have a short tube with a hose connected that runs part way down the left side. Earlier ones have solid tubing that runs down to the right.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:28 pm

Bigdog has a point though. There are a couple of "differences" in the originals and the remanufactored. Thickness, weight, and the thickness of the flange at the bottom. I have also seen hood-radiator problems when the hood was not mounted to the radiator side channels. Just rested on the doglegs.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:32 pm

One more point to check, there is a bracket spt welded on the inside of the hood on each side that bolt to the radiator support. If these are broken off or the bolts are out, the doglegs will usually bow and allow the hood to set nearly against the radiator top not allowing room for an overflow tube.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:58 pm

John:

Nice pics! I guess the youngun enjoyed getting up on the Cub and learning how to shift :!:

I am kind of late getting into this thread, but I thought that the overflow looked correct. Too late at night and too cold to go check it though.

Boy that is some nice Cub you got there. Nice to see pics of it. Em thought so too!

Now tell me, is that your 54 1 ton? Good year! What model? Be real nice to haul the Cub to local/regional shows doncha think? Cub on a trailer, some implements on the truck bed?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:09 pm

John,
I have a friend that just started restoring one of those power units. If you have some pictures or info please send it to me (email) and I'll foward them to him. He might be interested in the whole thing.
Very nice cub & a sharp looking young man driving! Thanks