This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Interior band on the starter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Interior band on the starter

Postby Kirk » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:28 pm

I just pulled the starter on my '49 to clean it up a bit and paint it. After taking the metal band off of it, I found a (what appears to be) a thin metal lining that covers the access holes in the starter.

But it's so deteriorated, I cant really tell what the material is. And after checking the parts manual, of course it does show a lining there of some sort.

So, I removed the band from my parts Cub and found the same thing in the same unrecogizable condition. :? :?

What is the material used and can you provide me with some tips on what you have replaced it with??

Mucho thx guys

PS: I leave in the morning to go to south Florida to pick up the 7 Cubs. I'm taking my wifes digital camera in hopes I can get some pics. That yellow Cub that was on ebay (sold for $3200) is still supposed to be there. I hope to get some more photo's of it and gather some history.

I just pray that the tractor trailer is there on Tuesday like we have planned. :roll: Talk to yall soon.
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:48 pm

The lining is a paper-like insulation. Cut a new one out of paper gasket material.

When you are taking pictures of the yellow Lo-Boy, try to get some good pictures of the brake linkage. Looks like something wierd was done with the linkage.

Hope everything goes well with the hauling job.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Daniel H. » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:15 pm

The material is called fish paper. It is used to insulate electrical assemblies. McMaster-Carr has it on page 3354 of their on-line catalog. You can also search for fishpaper. It comes in different thicknesses and is not very expensive.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:30 pm

Jim & Daniel,

Fishpaper, huh? Ok, that's what I need. I sure do appreciate it.

And Jim, I will indeed try to get some shots of the brakes. I'm hoping it's still at the nursery because the guy that bought it has asked the folks there to store it for a while until he can get down there to pick it up. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Take Care
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Return to “Farmall Cub”