This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No holes?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04664
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

No holes?

Postby Vern Campbell » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:34 pm

Just a question on my lack of hood holes. I know that the two holes in the right side of a Cub's hood are for oiling the generator, and I've seen them on a lot of the pictures you all have posted. My 1955 doesn't have them and I figured maybe IH eliminated them by then. But yesterday I saw a picture of a 1963 on eBay that had them. So I checked my hood and there is no sign of them ever being filled, and my dad owned the Cub since 1957. Should they be there? It would make servicing the generator much easier!
Vern
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:36 pm

Vern, you are not alone. I have heard a few others state that their tractors did not have the holes. I don't know if there was a particular time or reason for that. Perhaps some else can enlighten us.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:27 pm

:?: noone semes to know for sure. My guess is that these hoods were rejected at the factory for not having the holes and from there went to the parts resurve. A tractor would get dammeged in shipment or at dealer and the dealer would get the new hood with no holes in it. Like all production, things happen during the run, Maybe they just pasted through untill it was cought and never did anything but correct the machine making them. Just a thought, No facts here :roll: "Jack"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:16 pm

Every hood I have seen that didn't have the holes could be determined as having them filled in. Sometimes it took a pretty close inspection of the back side. I haven't seen every hood with no holes, so I'm not going to say there couldn't be some out there that never had holes.

It is possible some of the very last tractors that came with an alternator didn't have the holes punched. The parts book doesn't support that possibility, nor the latest sales brochures. That doesn't absolutely prove it didn't happen either.

French built Cubs are another story as they were punched for other brands of electrical components.

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vern Campbell » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:56 am

Well, now I'm really curious. My Cub is serial number 187135, so that makes it a 1955 and it has a generator. If the holes were filled in, it had to have been in its short life before Dad bought it in '57. I know he never did any body or paint work to the Cub. It looks like I'll have to take off the hood and do a closer check. I haven't done much body work, but it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to tell from the back side. This might be a good chance to try out my Christmas digital camera and post some pictures! :)
Vern
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vern Campbell » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:21 am

Hmmm. I was looking in the For Sale forum and saw pictures of Scott C's 1955 Cub. His doesn't have the holes either. A coincidence, or do you suppose that 1955 was the year of no holes :?: The plot thickens. :)
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6293
Vern

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:14 am

Vern
I can't answer your no hood hole's question, but I guess we are even. I have a '49 that has the holes, but has never had a generator :lol:
It would be interesting to know how close the serial number's of your '55 and the '55 Scott has for sale are, since so far it appears to '55 models that are missing the holes.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:46 am

Paul, that's an interesting observation because my brother-in-law Don's lo-boy does not appear to have the holes either. (from the pictures I have) The serial number plate is missing from his but the castings are from 55.
Bigdog

Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:50 am

Well I will try to make the plot even stranger...

I have a '55 and it only has ONE HOLE :shock: .

I always assumed someone had filled in the other one. But if they did they did a fine job.

Guy
'55 Cub, (but always shopp'n!) '02 Kub, '57 Ford 640

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:10 am

My 55 doesn't have the holes either. If some PO did fill them, they did a very good job. No evidence on the outside or underneath 8)

CaptPaulret
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hood with no holes;

Postby CaptPaulret » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:21 am

Hi:
My 55 cub also has no holes. Maybe if'n we watch E-Bay real close we will be able to bid on holes for cub hoods. H'm I wonder what the top bid will be.

Capt. Paul
Capt. Paul Ret.
Oswego, NY

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:56 am

Capt. Paul wrote:
My 55 cub also has no holes. Maybe if'n we watch E-Bay real close we will be able to bid on holes for cub hoods. H'm I wonder what the top bid will be.

Most likely a :lol: HOLE LOT :lol:

BTW----- my 55 cub has no holes for generator oiling either, at least not until I drilled a couple for that purpose.
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:07 am

As luck would have it, I have a large supply of used post holes. I would be willing to ship them to George Willer so he can turn them down to proper size on his lathe. Of course, they would be available to anyone who needs them for the cost of shipping. I don't know how many I can fit into an envelope though so shipping might be kind of high.
Bigdog

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:51 am

Bigdog wrote:As luck would have it, I have a large supply of used post holes. I would be willing to ship them to George Willer so he can turn them down to proper size on his lathe. Of course, they would be available to anyone who needs them for the cost of shipping. I don't know how many I can fit into an envelope though so shipping might be kind of high.

They'll never get there....too many holes in the envelope. :roll: :wink: :lol:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

But, but, but.....

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:05 pm

If those holes were mated with a Sunday go to meeting Cub grill, wouldn't they become more expensive because they are part of the "Holey Grill"?

hehehehe!

Rick 8)
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Return to “Farmall Cub”