This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

wheel alignment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brian Piersol
10+ Years
10+ Years

wheel alignment

Postby Brian Piersol » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:00 pm

most people who use thier cub for its intended usage (on dirt of some some sort) would not notice this but since my cub spends most of its time on a flat smooth paved road riding my grandson down to the neighbors barn and back to look at the moocows (AGAIN) I've noticed i must allways pull and fight my cub to keep it from drifting right. Obviously, my alignment is off a little. what tie rod end should i adjust and in what direction (longer or shorter) to make my cub go straight naturally and not off the road to the right in the field where it wants to go now? Thanks from Brian in Lancaster COWnty, PA

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:03 pm

Check out Rudi's site. Mr. GW has a fine how to for wheel alignment 8)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: wheel alignment

Postby George Willer » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:16 pm

Brian Piersol wrote:most people who use thier cub for its intended usage (on dirt of some some sort) would not notice this but since my cub spends most of its time on a flat smooth paved road riding my grandson down to the neighbors barn and back to look at the moocows (AGAIN) I've noticed i must allways pull and fight my cub to keep it from drifting right. Obviously, my alignment is off a little. what tie rod end should i adjust and in what direction (longer or shorter) to make my cub go straight naturally and not off the road to the right in the field where it wants to go now? Thanks from Brian in Lancaster COWnty, PA

Brian,

Nice to hear from you again!

Your steering problem is NOT related to the length of the tie rods. Since the weight is exactly the same on both front wheels, toe-in or toe-out can only cause wandering. This is when the tires argue about which one will be in charge (roll straight) and which one will skid... which should happen randomly. Two things I know about that would cause one (right) wheel to be in charge more are unequal tire pressure and unequal spindle angle.

Sometimes wallowed out holes for the locating pin in the axle allow one wheel to be farther back than the other... reducing the spindle angle.

We commonly set the wheels to toe in slightly, but only so that they don't toe out while running. Ideally they will both be exactly straight ahead while running.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Articles%20by%20George%20Willer/Aligning%20Front%20Tires/Aligning%20Front%20Tires.htm
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:15 pm

A two lane paved country road generally has a crown. (The center is higher that both edges). this runs water off quite well but will contribute to drifting toward the right in the USA. In England where they drive on the other side of the road. well i am sure that you can figure the rest out.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”