This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hard Starting Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hard Starting Cub

Postby Mag Man » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:18 pm

Hi guys I am looking for some advice. My 51 Cub Is hard starting when its cold it doesnt seem to get enough gas suction there is plenty of gas at the carb and the bowl is filled but It does not seem to suck it up in very good . And when you do get it to fire with the choke all the way closed it seems like it wants more air also to run. I have the bigger aftermarket carb on her any ideas . What causes weak suction worn rings?
JON

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:23 pm

Jon, I would suggest a compression check to see what you have. Poor compression would also indicate poor vacuum. If you haven't already checked or cleaned the carb you should see what you have there. You could also have a blockage in the manifold but that would be pretty rare in my opinion.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:24 pm

Mag Man,

Worn rings or leaky valves could cause the problem. Try a compression test to determine the health of the engine 8)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:26 pm

You're just too fast Bigdog...A Bigdog gathers no moss or holes :lol: 8)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:28 pm

I was busy smearing dielectric grease on the lube holes in all of my cubs so the current wouldn't leak out of the generators.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:48 pm

You could look for air leaks at the intake manifold, where the manifold joins the block, where the carb bolts to the manifold as well. I have a similar problem and in the -10 -20 we had the other week i took the air cleaner cap off and hand choked to start and hold it running till it was warm enough to keep running. When it gets warmer i will do all the good carb fixes. I have a Case IH kit and i know the carb has none of the felt washers in it now. I needed the cub to tow the splitter to the wood pile.
I explained how I started the splitter in another thread and not give the PC police any duplications to spread dielectric grease on.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”