This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The dredded motor overhaul and repaint has begun!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
David C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47141
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub, 1970 135 Massey Ferguson, 1970 175 Massey Ferguson, 1964 Cub Cadet Model 70. 1977 Farmall 140 (Granpa's)

The dredded motor overhaul and repaint has begun!!

Postby David C » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:15 pm

I finally started the teardown of the motor on my 49 cub. The motor has a knock in one of the front two pistons... and considerable amount of blow-by. Also noticed "R1" connecting rods with High dome pistons...Hmm? Rebuilt in 79 by previous owner

The crank is scored on 1 and 2 pistons. Haven't pulled the main caps off yet, Still havent picked up a puller yet for the pulley.

The valve guides are sloppy on a few of them.

And, what bothers me is the shaft between the clutch and tranny has about a 1/8" run out. Is this normal for these old girls, should I take it to work and straighten it???

Gonna Have a LOT of questions coming... No digital camera, so I have to get a cd with my film developing.....

David C
I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:21 pm

Lots of luck with your rebuild.
Is the scoring slight enough that the crank can be ground? Of course you will have to look at the mains as well as the connecting rod journals before you can decide.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”