This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Not Getting Much Seat Time, Lots of Time With Ellie Though

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Not Getting Much Seat Time, Lots of Time With Ellie Though

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:58 am

Haven't been getting much seat time aside from moving Ellie from pile to pile. Between the 4 or 5 cords of popple for next year and the 10 cords I need to get in for this year, Ellie the splitter and me have been getting some quality time together. Here is a little video of some popple getting reduced in size. It is green, wet and gnarly ... :shock:

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Re: Not Getting Much Seat Time, Lots of Time With Ellie Thou

Postby cowboy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:06 am

Cool Rudi :D

Sure is nice and quiet :wink: My splitter has a 11 hp briggs on it and its so loud I can't hear my self think.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:13 am

Thanks Billy :D

Ellie is idling... if I don't increase the throttle 1 notch Ellie will stall in 1st. The PRV is set for 1,000lbs so I guess that would generate into approximately 1-1/4 tons of splitting pressure. Seems to be all I need. And yeah, it is nice that she is so quiet. I can listen to my tunes whilst working so it takes some of the boredom out of the equation.

Gotta go pile the last load in the basement and then some more splitting is on order. One of the most difficult jobs has been splitting some of the spruce chunks .. boy they are gnarly. With knots/stems running helter skelter it makes splitting really interesting. I will say though that so far out of all the wood I have split there are only about 4 pieces that I have had to put aside -- just too gnarly. May have to cut in half with the chainsaw then resplit, or maybe just let em dry some more and give em another shot next year..... :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Rudi, What is popple wood? It looks very much like hackberry here in TN.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:59 pm

That's a smooth lookin' operation and Ellie sounds great. First time I have watched a cub splitter work. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:29 pm

What is that, Rudi, a hydraulic pump on the PTO ?
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

paulsouc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03087
Tractors Owned: At Present - Sadly No Cub
JD Model LA

Postby paulsouc » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:54 pm

What a nice set-up Rudi. Sure is quiet! Makes me want another Cub that much more. :D

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:57 pm

hello rudi , from the deep south. havent talked to you in a while. that is a fine looking piece of equipment. your effort has been rewarded. i was curious and have to ask, and please, bear in mind my latitude. are the 10 cords for your average winter usage? :shock: coppersmythe................................................

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Val:

Depending on the winter. Usually we burn about 4 - 5 cords of good mixed wood from spruce/fir/pine to maple/birch/poplar aka popple and maybe some other hardwoods depending on what we get. Last year though it was a pretty long and kinda moist/cold winter and we burned almost 8 cords of wood.

Bob:

Nope no external hydraulic pumps. The hydraulic system is simply Ellie's touch control with some added plumbing etc. Will post more pics over the next couple days of the upgrades to the system.

Ron:

Popple is a type of poplar. Not tulipwood, not eastern white poplar or any of the furniture quality poplars but kind of a scrappy poplar that has limited use. It is really gnarly, hard to split most of the time because of how the branches grow.

Paul and Randall;

Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated. :D

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:03 am

No Crocs!!!
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:48 am

Rudi wrote:
Bob:

Nope no external hydraulic pumps. The hydraulic system is simply Ellie's touch control with some added plumbing etc. Will post more pics over the next couple days of the upgrades to the system.

Wow I am surprised. Glad to see you do well. One time I built a splitter and ran it off my bigger Internationals, like the 966. Became frustrated with it getting stuck so much, after a few years of that went to Central Tractor and came home with a factory-made splitter with 2-stage pump. Went from about 95 hp to 5 hp but cut right through the knots.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

gcbailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24740
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall CUB #62395
'62 Cub Cadet
'69 Cub Cadet 73 w/Haban Sickle bar
'71 Cub Cadet 127
'76 Cub Cadet Sof76
'07 Cub Cadet LT1045
'09 Cub Cadet GT2544

Postby gcbailey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:58 am

Rudi, That is awesome. I've saw 3 pt splitters before, but mounting that up on a cub is wild!! My dad has an outdoor wood/coal furnace and he usually goes through about 3.5 cords per year, not counting coal. He burns year round. That would be so much better than trying to maneuver the pull behind splitter on the ATV..... we normally cut and split out on our acreage on the spot, instead of cutting, loading, unloading, splitting, stacking....

What do you think the rating is on that splitter?

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:00 am

impressive video.

Todd

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Jeff M wrote:No Crocs!!!

Jeff:

Well the blue ones have sort of worn out.. hmmmm crocs that last what 7/8 years :big say what: I now have a pair of tan ones :lol:

Gary:

Well I am not so sure. Would have to do the math I guess (right after I figure out what the math needs to be :lol: ). The splitter itself is rated for 15 tons with an outboard power pack - usually 5HP Honda/B&S/Tecumseh gas engine. This particular splitter would have retailed for almost $1,450.00Cdn a couple years ago with the power pack. With Ellie's TC as the hydraulic supply (max 2,500 lbs) and the PRV set at 1,000 lbs with a 3" cylinder, I figure that I am getting about a ton and a half or two tons of pressure. Seems to be more than enough even for the Red Oak and other species. The ones that give me the biggest grief is the spruce -- really gnarly/knotty and does present some unique scenarios. I am not convinced that brute force is the solution to splitting problems. I find finesse is much more useful. Split between the knots, slab off as needed and you usually end up with stove/furnace sized wood easily.

I think so far I may have used maybe 8 gallons of gas to split the 15 cords or so I have already split. With a regular 2 stroke it would have cost me twice or 3 times as much in fuel alone. The 8 gallons or so includes the fuel needed to get up into and back down from the woods. Right now I am splitting about 1/2 km from the house. I like the idea of splitting where the logs are. Less handling. I still will bring 4 foot out of the bush cause I cut them on my saw table, but now I will be cutting then splitting on the fly - so that I can skip that one major step of piling to season before splitting.

Gary, here are the links to the project itself

Todd:

Thanks, I still cannot believe that Ellie can split the size of stock we have been splitting and at an idle to top it off. That really blows me away.

BigMatt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46163
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Moe"
1950 Farmall M
1978 IH 184

Postby BigMatt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:18 pm

Maybe it would be a safety hazard since I have never used a wood splitter, but would it be possible to put some sort of spring on the lever to make the splitter return to its up position? It seems like you might save some time if it automatically returned to the up position.

Return to “Farmall Cub”