This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Not Getting Much Seat Time, Lots of Time With Ellie Though

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Not Getting Much Seat Time, Lots of Time With Ellie Thou

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:27 pm

Matt:

I thought of an auto kick-off but decided I didn't need to spend the extra money considering I already had a number of Cub Cadet valves in stock .. (been buying em for a couple years for projects that are rattling around in my brain). Time is also not a consideration for me as with my medical issues I have to pace myself anyways. This was never an exercise in building the fastest splitter around.. I am a lot slower than I used to be and slow is okay by me :D With me holding the valve in the reverse position I get to take a breather for a couple seconds. Oh, it really isn't that slow either, it is almost equivalent to say any typical 5 hp splitter you can rent such as the ones below:

Image Image
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01516
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub w/ IH C2 mower
50 High wide "demo" cub with dual fertilizer hoppers
51 high wide cub w/474 planter
62 High wide cub w/ fast hitch
72 High wide w/cultivators
75 Red Long stripe w/fast hitch & C2 mower
76 Red long stripe w/IH 1000 loader & duals
77 long stripe with IH C2 belly mower
55 Super AV w/cultivators
56 Super AV
57 130 High crop w/cultivators
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Rudi,

Great video.

I recommend 2 things. If possible, put a larger hose on the return side of the hydraulic piston. It should increase your flow and as long as the feed hose is larger, which it should be, the return speed should increase. Also, I would put a spring on the actuating handle so when I released it, it would put it back to the return position thus returning the piston so I'd have both hands fee to get the next log.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:42 pm

tractordad wrote:I would put a spring on the actuating handle so when I released it, it would put it back to the return position . . .

No, not good. When the piston completes the return stroke, the spring won't know enough to release the handle. The system will sit there constantly popping the relief valve and heating the fluid.

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
56 Super AV
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
tractordad wrote:I would put a spring on the actuating handle so when I released it, it would put it back to the return position . . .

No, not good. When the piston completes the return stroke, the spring won't know enough to release the handle. The system will sit there constantly popping the relief valve and heating the fluid.

Jim,

You are correct. A control valve that has a detent release would work well.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:24 am

good morning all. rudi, i cant imagine that "cold" that long. i have a fireplace we use to supplement the natural gas heater, more for ambiance. half a cord tops. i guess if we could use wood that gave off "cold" we would use 6-8 "cords" during our summers :lol: copper(hotter than heck)smythe.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:17 am

Thought I would post a couple pics of Ellie's new auxiliary hydraulic reservoir and return line design. The older version just wasn't up to snuff so it had to be done. The project itself will go in a new post in the Projects forum.

Decided that a filter would be a good idea and Princess happened to have a very nice Donaldson with 3/8" NPT threads which was perfect for my needs. Also changed the tank out to better accommodate the bulkhead fitting. This required a secondary return line instead of plugging the gas outlet :idea:

Necessitated a few changes in the mounting design but now the tank is very stable and best of all no leaks.

One question. Should I vent the cap? The newer tank does not have a vented cap. There is a sort of insert in the cap but no vent holes in the cap.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
56 Super AV
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:49 am

Rudi wrote:Matt:

I thought of an auto kick-off but decided I didn't need to spend the extra money considering I already had a number of Cub Cadet valves in stock .. (been buying em for a couple years for projects that are rattling around in my brain). Time is also not a consideration for me as with my medical issues I have to pace myself anyways. This was never an exercise in building the fastest splitter around.. I am a lot slower than I used to be and slow is okay by me :D With me holding the valve in the reverse position I get to take a breather for a couple seconds. Oh, it really isn't that slow either, it is almost equivalent to say any typical 5 hp splitter you can rent such as the ones below:

Image Image

Rudi,

Required rest time between logs makes a lot on sense. I am surprised the cub hydraulic pump has the ability to drive that piston to split the work. Great piece of equipment. I did review the images of the new tank. If you start gettting any cavitation or excessive heat in the system, (hydraulic fluid), I recommend that the return line be roughly twice the size as the outgoing hydraulic lines. As far as the vent, if you take off the cap right after you shut it down so it is quiet and you hear any noise when removing the fill cap, I would vent it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:06 am

Gary:

I am not getting any cavitation nor excessive heat that I can detect. The lines get a slightly warm and that is about it. Have opened it up after shutting Ellie down and no noises that I can hear. Just seems to be a little leakage around the cap -- not a lot. Just enough to bring up the idea of venting. The two other tanks had the typical Tecumseh vented cap - this one has the newer 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" threads. Probably will go see Danny at Al's and see if there is another cap that is vented.

tractordad wrote:I am surprised the cub hydraulic pump has the ability to drive that piston to split the work.

I am not all that surprised as it works about as I expected/hoped. When I decided this is what I wanted to do, I figured if the TC can lift my modified disc harrow, maneuver the blade and actually lift the front end up off the ground a tad then there was sufficient capacity to accommodate a splitter. Not being a hydraulics guy I probably had a different neophyte type of outlook with no preconceptions. All I knew is I wanted a splitter and I didn't have room for a tag-a-long nor the desire for one. After using the tag-a-longs for about 20 years, I just got fed up with all the hassle with getting the splitter where I needed it. Now, all I do is simply back Ellie up to where I want the splitter. Makes me happy. And with the splitter in the vertical position there is much less pressure on my heart/lungs/back/rest of body when lifting large/very large chunks of wood onto the splitter. With the tag-a-long I constantly needed help for the very large ones both lifting and keeping on the splitter.

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
56 Super AV
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Rudi,

I am glad it is working as well as it is and it is very impressive. Something to be very proud of.

Dualing Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23231
Tractors Owned: 1958,59',48' and 49' Farmall Cubs

Postby Dualing Cubs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:06 pm

That thing looks great! I sure could use one now. I have to do it the old school way :( .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Josh ..

Return to “Farmall Cub”