Using Bob McCarty's Carb Gasket Template

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:02 am

The following series of photos shows the steps for using Bob McCarty's Carburetor Template to make new body gaskets for your carburetor. You can find the posting for them at:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64485

1. Outline the template onto 1/16th" gasket material with pen or fine felt tip:

2. Punch holes -
1/8" for idle tube and crescent ends
3/16" for bolt holes and float corners
5/16" for curve at edge of float hole
1 1/16" for venturi hole (or cut with knife)

3. Cut crescent using template and cut float bowl sides with template or straightedge using the knife knife (utility or X-acto):

4. Cut outside with knife and template or scissors. (NOTE: cut away drawn pen lines or gasket will be wider than wanted):

5. Tools used:

MANY THANKS to Bob for all his hard work!!
Last edited by Dale Finch on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Using Bob McCarty's Carb Gasket Template

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:23 am

a plier type leather punch work very well for the small holes

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:57 pm

The center hole should be 1 1/16", typo. Redfin cut about a dozen at Stonethrow and they turned out much nicer than my first practice one which is pictured.

Bob

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:18 am

Hey Dale, where did your tools come from?? Doug

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Check with Bob McCarty...I only took the photos and did the posting...it was his baby!!

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:06 pm

Doug, The smaller punches came from HF, the big one from McMaster-Carr. The scissors were mine and the X-acto knife was Dale's.

Bob

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:11 pm

From someone that was making the gaskets with a paper template , I can tell you this is the ticket. The outcome is a very close to oem gasket. Thanks to Bob for taking this on.. and Dale for posting the details here ..

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:21 pm

thanks Bob, HF will be easy, I may try to sharpen a pipe from the inside to get the 1&1/16 befor I try McMaster, thanks again,,Doug

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:49 pm

Dale, Bob:

Now that the editing has been done, I have copied it over to the How To Forum and have included the article in the CBoK - In The Shop chapter. Bob thanks for getting this template done and I am eagerly awaiting my copies and Dale thanks for documenting the procedure :D I am sure it will be of help to everyone :!: