This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Big Oops

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
southerncub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Big Oops

Postby southerncub » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:56 am

Yeah the whole tractor needs a good lookover by a good mechanic, or someone who's good with these cubs. I'm reading up on them and learning, and I love tinkering, but I myself am only a half( U know what ) shade tree mechanic, not a good one either. LOL. I know my basics, but other than that, that's all you get from me. I really need to load this thing up and take it to someone who can tear it down and rebuild it for me. It runs, but it's begging UNCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:43 am

Shane:

southerncub wrote:I love tinkering, but I myself am only a half( U know what ) shade tree mechanic, not a good one either. LOL.

If you can change spark plugs, oil and know what end of a wrench has the box end then you can do this. I know from personal experience that a nudninck non-mechanic can do it (yeah.. that would be me :lol: ), then someone who can play mechanics can get a Cub up and running. It isn't rocket science just basic mechanics. The manuals, especially the Blue Ribbon Service Manuals are so complete that you can simply walk your way through it by reading those manuals. When you have questions, simply post em and the guys here will help you through the problem. The knowledge base here is so great that it would take dozens of IH mechanics with decades of experience on Cubs to equal it. That is what you have available to you.

Along with the How To's/How I Did Thatin the CBoK, there really is very little that cannot be done by a Cub owner with the help of the guru's in our membership.

southerncub wrote: I poured the rest of the oil out of the cup, and let me tell ya that screen is absolutely filthy. This poor tractor needs some big time maintenance done to it. I can't manage to remove the air filter screen from the tractor, is there a trick to this? Manual didn't really get to detailed with that part. Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Shane, the page below is from the TC-37C Parts Catalog and shows the Oil Bath Filter.

You can see where the #8 points to - which is the body of the Oil Bath Filter Housing. There are two bolts that hold that Oil Bath Filter Housing to the block. If you look at the #6 it will show you a threaded fitting much like a compression fitting on a brake line. This connects the Crankcase Vent Tube to the Oil Bath Filter Housing. Remove part #7 which is the Breather Cap. Remove the Air Cleaner Pipe assembly from the Oil Bath Filter Housing - part #'s 11-13. Now to remove the Oil Bath Filter Housing, simply remove part #6 and the 2 bolts that hold part #8 to the Block. The Oil Bath Filter Housing will then come off of the block.

Once the Oil Bath Filter Housing has been removed from the block and is free, you can clean the filter by submerging it in kerosene and letting it soak. Dip and soak a number of times and it will come clean. It may take some time so enjoy the process. You can clean the Breather Cap the same way.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:25 pm

It really doesn't take more than a half-***** mechanic to work :oops: on a Cub. I should know!
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

southerncub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby southerncub » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:22 am

Well thank y'all for the vote of confidence, I am trying to get better at my mechanic skills. Yeah the cub doesn't seem too terribly hard to work on. I just need to have a little more patience at times I guess. I know one thing, it's not going anywhere, I'm fully intrigued by this little tractor now, hope to give it to my kids one day

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:04 am

southerncub wrote:Well thank y'all for the vote of confidence, I am trying to get better at my mechanic skills. Yeah the cub doesn't seem too terribly hard to work on. I just need to have a little more patience at times I guess. I know one thing, it's not going anywhere, I'm fully intrigued by this little tractor now, hope to give it to my kids one day

Just be sure to show them where to pour the oil! :lol: :lol:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Pagano8
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 08089

Postby Pagano8 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:17 pm

I know this is a old post but I did the same thing except I hydro locked my engin everything was filled with oil, so I took the plugs out and got most of the oil out, and changed the plugs and now she is running really rough I'm not sure what I should do at this point

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Pagano8 wrote:I know this is a old post but I did the same thing except I hydro locked my engin everything was filled with oil, so I took the plugs out and got most of the oil out, and changed the plugs and now she is running really rough I'm not sure what I should do at this point
First thing is to see if there is any oil in the crankcase. The dip stick and oil fill location is on the lower left side of the engine.

Read through this entire topic. Follow the suggestions.

The only way you can get enough oil into a cylinder to hydro lock is to pour oil into the air cleaner. And then it will take a lot of oil.

You will need to change spark plugs, perhaps several times, to get the engine running properly.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pagano8
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Pagano8 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Thank u man there is no dipstick on mine just two plugs, I just changed the plugs today, I ran it for about a hour today ill run it tommorow again and then change the plugs again, it lacks power and bogs down when there's strain on it or reves up and down

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:06 am

Eugene wrote:
Pagano8 wrote:I know this is a old post but I did the same thing except I hydro locked my engin everything was filled with oil, so I took the plugs out and got most of the oil out, and changed the plugs and now she is running really rough I'm not sure what I should do at this point
First thing is to see if there is any oil in the crankcase. The dip stick and oil fill location is on the lower left side of the engine.

Read through this entire topic. Follow the suggestions.

The only way you can get enough oil into a cylinder to hydro lock is to pour oil into the air cleaner. And then it will take a lot of oil.

You will need to change spark plugs, perhaps several times, to get the engine running properly.

Pagano8 wrote:Thank u man there is no dipstick on mine just two plugs, I just changed the plugs today, I ran it for about a hour today ill run it tommorow again and then change the plugs again, it lacks power and bogs down when there's strain on it or reves up and down

Eugene, from another post on the A, SA foum I think he is referencing a FARMALL A.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:03 am

Stan: Figured that out when he described the two petcocks to determine oil level in the crankcase.

Pagano8: Time for a complete engine tune up, starting with compression tests.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pagano8
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Pagano8 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Eugene wrote:Stan: Figured that out when he described the two petcocks to determine oil level in the crankcase.

Pagano8: Time for a complete engine tune up, starting with compression tests.

Thank you fellas, do u guys use a certain website to order parts from, because any of these auto stores they look at u like ur crazy when u start asking

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:45 pm

I get my tractor tune up parts from the local auto parts stores. NAPA, Federated, O'Reilly, Etc., handle the parts. Just have to asked the old guy behind the counter. Many have the parts in stock. If not in stock, they can order the parts.

Visit the auto parts store during the normal work day when the older, more experience folks are working.

Tractor parts are sometimes, not very often included in the store's computer. But, the stores have catalogs listing the parts.

There are a number of mail order catalog companies dealing only in tractor parts. I like Valubilt, which offers a free catalog, just sign up on line.

Hew Holland, Cub Cadet dealers can obtain the parts for IH tractors.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim in SC
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 29527
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall H - "Ray R." (SN FBH 366519)
1959 Farmall Cub - "Pea" (SN 211538 J)
1964 IH Cub Cadet 100 - (SN 92562)
1971 IH Cub Cadet 106 - (SN 380760)

2018 Husqvarna YTH18542

Tractor previously owned:
1951 Farmall Cub - "Johnny R."

Postby Jim in SC » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Kinda reminds me of when I was restoring my Cub. Had the oil pan and head off, etc., so no oil in the engine at all. Once I got it all back together and
fresh oil added, I had to prime the oil pump per the manual. I took off the oil filter cap and removed the oil filter and used an oil can to fill the small hole in the front of the oil filter carrier with priming oil. No problem, right? Um, then I hit the starter to see if it was primed...

It was. And I was wearing a lot of the pumped oil on my shirt. It really had good pressure! LOL!
Circle of Safety
"That's the great thing about a tractor. You can't really hear the phone ring."
Jeff Foxworthy

1951 Farmall H
1959 Farmall Cub
1964 IH Cub Cadet 100
1971 IH Cub Cadet 106
2018 Husqvarna YTH18542

Return to “Farmall Cub”