This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throwout Bearing Failed/Transmission "Clatter"

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throwout Bearing Failed/Transmission "Clatter"

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Whichever brand you choose, make sure that it is fully saturated with grease BEFORE you install it.

I'll bring along a couple that have been marinating on the shelf for close to six months.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:39 pm

"LMNO...I'm thinking I'll pick one up and perhaps bring it and my Cub to Cubfest NE and beg for help.

Michael,
You will not have to beg for help, but you will have to be willing to get dirty.
What day do you think you would be getting there, Friday or Saturday, or both?

Beginning to sound like a Cub M.A.S.H. Unit is in place.
Cecil - Are you Ready?

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:26 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:I'll bring along a couple that have been marinating on the shelf for close to six months.

I like that. Marinated TOB .. :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Peter Person » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Rudi wrote:
Bill Hudson wrote:I'll bring along a couple that have been marinating on the shelf for close to six months.

With all the pig roasts Bill does, could these be marinated in pork fat? He may be onto something. At least when you ride the clutch the smells eminating from the torque tube will be pleasant. :lol:

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Peter Person wrote:
Rudi wrote:

With all the pig roasts Bill does, could these be marinated in pork fat? He may be onto something. At least when you ride the clutch the smells eminating from the torque tube will be pleasant. :lol:

Peter

That does bring up a question I've been mulling over. What is the ideal lubeto soak them in before installation? Wouldn't it make sense to soak it in oil rather than charging it up with grease ahead of time? Would it make sense to soak it in the lowest viscosity hypoid oil you can find? Would it help to put it in an air tight container and apply pressure or a vacuum, or alternate the two? In any case, installing it should include pumping fresh grease into it and making sure there is an oil slick on the front side.

Every new one I have installed has been presoaked so I haven't worried much about this question.

LMNO
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03755

Postby LMNO » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:38 am

Peter Person wrote:
"LMNO...I'm thinking I'll pick one up and perhaps bring it and my Cub to Cubfest NE and beg for help.

Michael,
You will not have to beg for help, but you will have to be willing to get dirty.
What day do you think you would be getting there, Friday or Saturday, or both?

Peter

I should arrive around 8:30 on Saturday morning. My local dealer has an OEM bearing in stock. I plan to pick it up and will marinate it immediately so it could be a replacement for someone else or a replacement for Bill's.

Just awaiting the secret marinade recipe. I was thinking Marvel Mystery Oil might be good.
Michael Evans
1958 Farmall Cub

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Peter Person wrote:Would it help to put it in an air tight container and apply pressure or a vacuum, or alternate the two?

Seems to me that if you were going to try that the sequence would be: vacuum first to suck the air out of the graphite, then light to moderate pressure to force the oil or grease in. However, you would have to submerge the bearing in the oil for the positive pressure to make any difference.

I don't think that just pressurizing an airtight container would do much good. But I've been wrong before :lol:
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

tulalipjames
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98271
Tractors Owned: 1947 cub
1947 Gibson E

Postby tulalipjames » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Bob - $25 (including $5 tip) to machine the TO bearing to accept the chevvy bearing.

LMNO - that was my first choice too. Should have also replaced entire clutch assembly. Something else (stress fracture?) went askew on old clutch and ate up the graphite on the new bearing. I think the rugged chevvy bearing will survive future bad behavior of the fingers.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Peter Person » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:11 pm

bythepond88 wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:Would it help to put it in an air tight container and apply pressure or a vacuum, or alternate the two?

Seems to me that if you were going to try that the sequence would be: vacuum first to suck the air out of the graphite, then light to moderate pressure to force the oil or grease in. However, you would have to submerge the bearing in the oil for the positive pressure to make any difference.

I don't think that just pressurizing an airtight container would do much good. But I've been wrong before :lol:

Don't want to take credit for Jim's idea. :D
Peter

Circle of Safety

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:35 pm

what about soaking in oil and then grease it. would that ruin it?

/

Return to “Farmall Cub”