This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lesson about Cub fan

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Lesson about Cub fan

Postby Kodiak » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:16 pm

I learned the hard way about how a Cub fan works. :(
It was educational but cost me a new fan assy. Mine froze up a couple of months ago and burned up a belt. So I took it apart and decided to rebuild it.
Seems I didn't have a manual on any other instructions but how hard could this be! :wink:
After my rebuild it lasted about 2 weeks and froze up again. This time when I took it apart I discovered I had over tightened the bearing on the spindle and destroyed both beyond repair. :cry:
So the lesson learned is oil the fan every 6 months or 60 hours of operation. Get manuals from Rudi or Binder Books and all you new Cub owners listen to the advice given here it can save you a lot's of trouble.

I did order a fan assy from TM Tractor Parts got it today and plan on installing it this weekend. Lynn sent a very informative email confriming my order and Tom did a super job of getting me everything I needed to do the job right (instructions!!!) I highly recommend these folks. :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:44 am

I learned a similar lesson the hard way, ran down every wire on the machine, then I found the manuals show it pretty clearly... just the light switch was a challenge to wring out. Wish I bought the manuals right away.

The down side of the manual is it goes into detail about oiling the fan assembly properly. Looked for a real long time for the 'oil retainer screw' and finally gave up figuring I would get to it when I got the fan out of the machine. They changed the design and mine has a cast iron hub with a sealed bearing! Nuttin to lube.!

Until you get the books you can use Rudi's manual server.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:04 am

Be sure when you take the fan hub off and dissassemble it BE sure that you put the internal parts right side up!! I did not and had it lock up. Had to do it all over again.
Last edited by danovercash on Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:04 am

Wish mine would have had a sealed bearing but being a "48" model it was just a bit early for that. I did find the screw to remove for oiling!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:16 am

danovercash wrote:Be sure when you take the fan hub off and dissassemble it BE sure that you put the internal parts right side up!!

On that subject, you should be aware that some illustrations of the Schwitzer-Cummins fan show the oil impeller the wrong way. It is correct in TC-37F, but probably not in some earlier Cub Parts Catalogs.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:28 am

When were the fan units changed to sealed bearings?

If it was before '67, that would be a load off my mind. Been trying to figure out how to get at the fan pulley without pulling the hood.

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:45 pm

Matt,
I'm not sure you can pull the fan/pulley assy without removing the hood, espically if you have a fan shroud. If it can be done I'd like to know how?
It gave me a reason to paint my tank/hood , headlights, disassemble the light switch and re-wire my "48"

Ron

Return to “Farmall Cub”