This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil Pump Priming

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Oil Pump Priming

Postby johnbron » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:59 pm

Wouldn`t adding the new oil over the top of the filter instead of through the dip-stick hole during an oil change prime the pump just the same as squirting oil into the primer holes with the small plugs :?: . The primer plugged hole by the filter cap seems to open into the same oil galley that you can see inside top of filter housing. Just curious cause I just added 3-quarts over the top of the filter and got to thinking this would have the same result as pumping with a squirt-can in the prime holes.
Then came Bronson

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:47 pm

JB. When I rebuilt my '48, I pumped oil through that hole and she primed just fine.
Ron

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:28 pm

Ron L wrote:JB. When I rebuilt my '48, I pumped oil through that hole and she primed just fine.

Im sure that it will prime just fine using the prime holes but I am curious as why shouldn`t you get the same result by my previous question. :idea:
Then came Bronson

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:53 pm

I'm talking about the hole inside the filter cavity. So, as long as the oil doesn't just pour out the bottom, you could get prime by doing what you said as long as the oil found that hole!
Ron

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:03 pm

Oh!! OK Ron, I thought you used the outside plug holes. I had the filter cavity full to the top a couple times so some must have run into that top hole. It might not even need priming but I have never started it yet and I dont know how many years it sat not running.
Then came Bronson

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:31 pm

Putting the retainer bolt in the filter housing should slow drainage back to the pan. I would think filling the housing clear to the top a couple times would get as much oil into that passage as a lot of pumping with an oiler would.

Return to “Farmall Cub”