This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Chain Harrow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick ('50, NC)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Chain Harrow

Postby Rick ('50, NC) » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:35 am

I want to buy a chain harrow to hook behind my Cub to break up the manure in my pastures. Most of the stores around have the harrows with 7/16 " tines, but know that there are harrows available with the bigger 5/8" tines.

I am wanting a harrow 4 feet wide and 8 feet long so that I can get through some narrow gates, plus not overload the Cub.

Question: Will the harrows with the 7/16" tines be heavy enough to break up the manure during the Summer when the grass is heavy and thick or should I opt for the heavier 5/8" tine model?
My worst day on a Cub is better than my best day at the office!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:52 am

Hi Rick

:lol: I use the Farnam drag harrow. I have been using it for three years and it is a good unit. I use the 6' by 8' harrow and usually when pulling I overlap a foot when pulling.

:o The farnam is nice in that you can pull it with the points down heavy down light or flat. It is two 4' by 6' sections and I use it with the first section down hard to brake it up and the back section upside down (flat) to spread it out. Last year I built a rear headder bar and filled it concreet and it seems to help out some. :idea: With the sections as I use them if you top seed it will set and cover the seed in one pass.

:P The 6by8 weighs 225lb + the headder bar :evil: I have been using my 4 by 4 four wheeler but I know the Cub will out pull the 4 wheeler easily. I was pulling big rocks to my rose garden and one I was spinning in 4by4 hooked it to the cub and pulled it up hill in 2nd gear. It says you need 2hp per foot of with of the harrow. But the cub has a ton of torque which is more usefull in pulling

http://www.farnamequipment.com/ is their website goto online store / then grounds maintenace
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:53 am

Rick,

:D What's making the manure? I have horses and use a length of chain link fence with a fence post tied on the back for weight. It does the job. For cows, and if it's fresh, nothing seems to work. :( Darn stuff sticks to everything! I would think the 7/16 would work fine,especially if you want to dig the ground up a little.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Rick ('50, NC)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rick ('50, NC) » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:36 am

Brent,

Mine is for horses also. The problem that I have is that during the Summer, our Coastal Bermuda gets so dense and heavy that the chain link fence drag that I made just floats over the top of the grass and doesn't really get down to the ground to break up most of the pile. I have tried weighting it down too, but it just doesn't seem to do as well as I had hoped. Maybe I am expecting more from a drag than it can produce.
My worst day on a Cub is better than my best day at the office!

Return to “Farmall Cub”