Front hub question-- new bearing kit.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:40 pm

Here I go again.

After much effort I have installed the new front bearing kit (thanks to Ken for knowing about the package!) But it seems quite a bit 'tighter' on the new side. (just repacked the other side as it was in good shape.)

I am wondering if it is because of the rawhide seal against the inside of the hub??? In which case I done good. I would guess that needs to wear in??

I backed off the castle nut so there is no contact with the outer bearing/washer, so it is not too tight or anything like that. It spins about the same all the way around (doesn't bind), so I think I have the back/inner race right.

If I get this right, you can see what I started with:
[img]http://mysite.verizon.net/lr. /index_files/image038.jpg
[/img]

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:44 pm

Something keeps eating my name!

I will try this in IE this time Image

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:49 pm

Looked a little dry in there BW!

Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:01 pm

Oh yea! Stupid me painted before the repack!

The hub actually spun fine! The grease (?) was all rust colored (coloured for Rudi!) and the bearing are nearly seized up completely now that they have had a chance to dry out!

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:01 pm

Still trying to figure out if the new seal makes the hub run tight/stiff??

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:04 pm

How tight did you turn the castellated nut? I tighten them until I feel resistance and then back off to the first castellation. The new seal may have a little drag but if the hub turns without binding, it should be OK.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:07 pm

Big Dog,

I backed it off so it is NOT in contact with the outer bearing. I am a bit puzzled by it.

I may not have set the seal all the way in, but that should not matter either.

It just does not spin freely like the other hub. I am hoping that the rawhide needs to 'wear in'. I can't think of anything else that would cause this.

Thanks!

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:05 am

I wouldn't worry about it not spinning free as long as you don't feel any rough spots and it turns smoothly. You may be right, it is probably only the drag from the new seal.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:25 am

Thanks Big Dog!

I am going with that and buttoning her up!

Should not be too much trouble unless I kick in the turbo!

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:41 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:Thanks Big Dog!

I am going with that and buttoning her up!

Should not be too much trouble unless I kick in the turbo!

Hmmm..............A Turbo Cub..............I wonder if we could sell Jesse James on that for Monster Garage...........they could have Team Cub build it in 5 days.......

Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:13 pm

I saw some kind of hopped up cub photo somewhere.... If I recall it was a V-6 or V-8 and looked well engineered.

Can't remember if it had a turbo.