Ace Hardware IH Blue paint

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Stopped after work, and bought a couple quarts of the Ih blue equipment paint, (8.99 per qt,) oil based paint. I want to re-paint the sickle mower, as the ford safety blue color the cub 22 is now ,has to go. I never have used this paint product before, And reading the instructions it says you can brush, roll or spray it, does not give much in directions as to thinning >? or if you can use a reducer and or a catalyst with this product>? I do read on the label that thinning is not recommended , but that is all for directions of use.

Anyone here on the forum ever sprayed the Ace hardware brand ih blue, and what methods and products were used for thinning or adding hardener if any.

thanks Jim

Re: Ace Hardware IH Blue paint

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Jim,
I have used their rattle cans. I like it a lot. Goes on easy & smooth. Large cans as well, so a pretty good bargain.

This pic will give you a pretty good idea what it looks like, color wise. Pardon the water, it rained that day. :lol:

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Mr.E, I had the clerk at Ace Hardware show me a color chip, and looks like the color in your picture, so yes I will be much happier having the cub sickle mower dressed in that color. Thanks JIm

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Since you're not dealing with sheet metal, I would consider brushing it on with a foam brush. They do a pretty fair job, in my estimation. Check out the photos of Buzzardwing's fast hitch flail mower.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Don , thanks for that idea.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Jim,

I use it all the timne, buy in the galon cans. I do not thin, but I do strain it. Have found some thick spots. I have found that it adheres very well when sprayed and the color match to Van Syckle is almost perfect. I have used on three #22 mowers. Hope this helps some. In fact that is what I was going to paint the metal on your grassboard with if you want it painted.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Russ, that is sweet, sure . I will add some pictures when I start the painting process on the 22. what pressure do you spray this paint at? thanks Jim

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Jim,

I spray with a HVLP gun and at 40-45 psi with an in-line air dryer.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:17 am

(China) Habor Freight gravity feed for $12 bucks. No thinner, just adjust the knob until it looks good on a pop/beer can. Painted 200 castiron mallable washers. Worked and looked great.
PS: Anyone need 199 castiron mallable washers? If you stack them real thick they might work as wheel weights (sigh).

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:24 am

I am painting my 152 Cub Disc Plow with AG SPECIALTY (IH Blue) rattle cans. The cans are $7.95 each from farmallparts.com and is an exact match to Van Sickle 460 Blue. You can also buy quarts for $17.95 and gallon can for $39.95. This paint even smells just like Van Sickle IH Blue, but drys faster :wink: ...'Country'

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:15 am

I have used the IH Blue in a rattle can and I love the way you can lay it on, just like with a paint gun. However, like most spray can paint, it is not very tough.......easy to scratch. I have talked to several ACE Hardware guys in my area and they all agree that a hardner is not available for the paint in a can. Could a hardner be added to this paint or is this type paint not even "hardner compatible"?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:10 am

BIGHOSS wrote:I have used the IH Blue in a rattle can and I love the way you can lay it on, just like with a paint gun. However, like most spray can paint, it is not very tough.......easy to scratch. I have talked to several ACE Hardware guys in my area and they all agree that a hardner is not available for the paint in a can. Could a hardner be added to this paint or is this type paint not even "hardner compatible"?

I went to a painting restoration site, and others have used ace brand oil based paint with valsper brand hardener and have had very good results. Also said that Ace offers a royal line of acrylic paint not sure of this myself, I cannot find any info on this from ace.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:21 am

I buy my blue at ACE. Krylon gloss regal blue matches the original paint on my sickle mower exactly. I've only bought rattle cans, so I don't know about quarts or any in bulk.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:01 am

I have used the Ace Hardware IH Blue, good bargain and nice finish! :D