This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another cub that won't start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
byrongraham
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06776

Another cub that won't start

Postby byrongraham » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:13 am

Okay here it is. I bought a '48 cub that was refurbished and ran really well for about 3 hours collectively. When I try to start it it turns over and wants to start but doesn't . The carburator floods immediately. If I try enough times it eventually starts and runs well. But when I turn it off the same thing happens. Won't start. I bought a new carb , rebuilt it all that. The same problem occured. When I turn it off a strange whirring sound occurs that never happened when it was running normally. I'm far from an expert but everyone says carb ... but I not so sure. Also maybe some could explain how to use the idle screw and the other screw on the throttle lever. Very confused.... Thanks everyone... Byron in CT.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Another cub that won't start

Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:41 am

First of all - welcome to the forum! I suggest you do a full ignition tune-up or at least confirm that you have a good hot spark and that your timing is on.
Are you using the choke to start? Most cubs don't tolerate a lot of choke. Generally a couple of revolutions with the choke on and then half-choke or none at all and they will start.
It also would be good to do a compression test and valve adjustment to make sure things are where they're supposed to be.
Check those basic items and most likely you will find your problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Like-em-all
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30134
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Super A
1952 Ford 8N
1958 John Deere 320S
1958 John Deere 420S
2008 John Deere 3005

Postby Like-em-all » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:59 am

byrongraham wrote:When I turn it off a strange whirring sound occurs that never happened when it was running normally.

Could that be the sound of a vacume leak that has developed?
Bill
"One Cub leads to another..." -- old International Harvester proverb.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:21 am

Most of my cubs have a "wheezing" sound when shut off. Just a little noise when the engine rolls back from an incomplete compression cycle. The better the compression, the more noticeable it is.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:34 am

Whirring sound. How long does it last and where is the noise coming from?

48 Cub. Cooling system. Quite possible that the cooling system needs to have the sludge accumulated in the lower radiator housing and around the cylinders removed.

Electrical appliance?
I have an excuse. CRS.

byrongraham
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby byrongraham » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:46 am

the sound comes from the front and last just a few seconds... thanks

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:51 am

Welcome to the forum!

I know it's easy to get frustrated when things don't work, but hang in there. There's plenty of help here.

Take it slow and do what is suggested here by these forum members; eliminating each area as you go.

Just for additional reference, here are two posts of mine that sounds very similar to your situation. You might read them both and see if they help.

#1 -- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64776

#2 -- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66624

Even though gas was coming out of my carb, like yours, I believe mine was an issue of carb and mag/distributor. I rebuilt the carb, verified the float height and the gas level in the carb, replaced the spark plug wires and ensured a spark at each plug, and checked the mag timing. I've got a distributor tune-up kit coming from TM because I had burn marks inside the distributor rotor cap.

Here's the link the Lurker Carl's Cub Carb fixes: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Mainte ... index.html (great information!!)

Wish you success and keep trying!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:32 pm

G'day to you and my there sure seems to be a lot of no-start issues lately...

You have gotten a lot of good information (and some of us have learned something new as well) .. and I would suggest you follow the links below as there is a rather large amount of information/resources available to our members.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

My 48 Cub Ellie has always made a little wheezing sound as she shuts down, never paid a lot of attention to it till now when I think I just got a clue as to what it was and it is kinda reassuring as well:

Bigdog wrote:Most of my cubs have a "wheezing" sound when shut off. Just a little noise when the engine rolls back from an incomplete compression cycle. The better the compression, the more noticeable it is.

I used to think it was partially connected to the last bit of fuel being consumed and then the last gasp of air. Now it makes sense that it is compression -- probably same thing -- BD just explained it better :D :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Check if the "whirring" sound is coming from the radiator by removing the radiator cap while the noise is present. You said it was coming from the front. I suspect that pressure built up inside the radiator due to the water getting warm is escaping around the cap and making the noise. It's the same idea as when you hold a blade of grass between your thumbs and blow through it to make a very loud whistle.

If it's coming from the radiator, it's normal.

The gas pouring is too much choke and/or a sticking float. If you're NOT pulling the choke, it's a sticking float.

Carbs can be a little tricky if you're new to it. You never get it right on the first try. New ones get banged around during shipping and usually need to be adjusted right out of the box too...

byrongraham
10+ Years
10+ Years

question about 6v batteries

Postby byrongraham » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:15 am

Question about 6v batteries.... is it uncommon for 6v batteries to weaken overnight when it is very cold. And if I leave it hooked up to the charger overnight will the charger not continue to charge and harm the battery once the charge completes. Thanks. Byron in CT.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:22 am

You can use a battery tender, they say they work well. It is hard to say on your 6 Volt battery too many variables, how old is the battery, how many cranking amps, and was it fully charged to start with.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farmall Cub”